Replacing engine, need advice on using auto block

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have to replace my block on my 1999 Bayliner capri. It is a 5.0 litre 305. What is the difference in the block from a marine and a auto besides the freeze plugs?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Replacing engine, need advice on using auto block

You mean "core plugs" right?:D

Wanna know the truth? If its a truck engine, basically nothing is different except the external ignition protected parts. (starter,alternator,etc)

This question has been asked and answered a thousand times so I'm just gonna give you a link to a good one...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=55169

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That link didn't tell me anything about the difference between marine and auto engines.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

OK but I did. If its out of a truck NO?THING is different except the core plugs. If its from a car the cam is different. Don't believe me? Use the search function or scroll down to the bottom of this page and see the other posts pertaining to this exact same question...

PS

Try the link again. My copy paste messed up on me...:D

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thank you. Not knacking your knowledge at all. Just want to make sure I am not messing up by using a truck engine to replace my blown boat engine. They are at least $500 dollars cheaper. Still gonna use all the rest marine parts like starter, alternator etc;

Thanks for the link. That pretty much answered it.

crewscontrol

Seaman

In addition to what has been posted, some people say the marine engine uses a different kind of head gasket, but I am not sure. I am quite certain that in marine applications the water pump (the one mounted on the front of the engine) has a different impeller (bronze vs cast iron). Other than that, I think the truck engine is basically identical to the marine engine, except certain externally mounted components like the alternator and starter.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I installed a water pump from a 1985 Chevy Caprice about 3 years ago. It is working fine. Our boat gets regular salt and fresh water use.

My understanding is the freeze plugs need to be brass and you need to replace the head gaskets. My understanding is also, that if you are doing only fresh water, that the headgaskets would be fine. The cam is differant in a truck than a boat, but a truck cam will work if in a pinch. I would swap the cam out of your old engine if you can though. Being a 99, its probably a Vortec engine and a one peice rear main seal.

There are some small differances here and there, but the main differance in the Vortec over a non Vortec is the heads, intake, etc. Make sure your intake matches whatever engine you buy. The rest should work fine.

You have to use your carb, dizzy, starter, etc etc. Basically anything fuel related or electric related must be marine only or you risk explosion from fuel fumes building up in the engine bay.

I may have missed some things, but I think that is all you need to know, from what I remember replacing my engine earlier this year.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll be the one to say it, if you are replacing the block go with a 5.7 L. (350). The external block is identical and everything from the 5.0 L. will bolt right up. The extra ponies will put a real smile on your face and there is no real difference in costs. (And 350 truck engines are easy to find.)

As others have noted, Use a truck engine, the cam is pretty close to a Marine cam. (In lots of cases they are the same.) Replace the steel core plugs with brass plugs. As long as you have the engine out, it's not a big deal to put Marine head gaskets on and I recommend you do. Swap the water circulation pump from the old engine to the new.

Exactly. If your water pump is still good just use your old one. If not, it is your choice, but a car water pump I used cost me $29.99 and has a lifetime warranty. So I figured even if I had to replace it once a year(takes about an hour) it was worth the money I saved. And it has lasted 3 seasons in both salt and fresh water.

I completely agree with stepping up to a 5.7. And as mentioned, might be worth pulling the heads and using marine gaskets while it is out. You can also get a look at the heads and pistons while its apart. Of course then you get the "while you are in there" disease and since you have the heads off, might as well do a valve job, and hell you got the bottom end apart, throw some rings and bearings in there.

If I was in a hurry, I would slap an engine in as is. If I had a couple months, I would go through it.

Be careful what you buy, and who you buy from. The first engine I bought was junk and I ended up putting in a rebuilt engine. Do a compression test before you buy. Try, if possible, to hear it run. You can do a compression test with a rental compression tester from autozone and a battery and a couple battery cables. Its good insurance. Trust me, I didnt take this advice and got screwed.

scoflaw

Ensign

If that 305 of yours is an EFI that 350 block might not work out well for you. 350 calls for a different ECM

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If that 305 of yours is an EFI that 350 block might not work out well for you. 350 calls for a different ECM

You are right about that, but I just figured that it was a Bayliner and not likely an EFI.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Any late model GM vortec truck engine is going to have GM's SS/composite head gaskets. No need to change.

Agree with going to 5.7L. Also consider ditching the 2brl and intake. I suspect you will need a marinized aluminum intake though.

If your 5.0 cam is good, use it. Otherwise, the GM roller cam can be had for less than aftermarket ones. It will be a little better than the truck cam.

Going from a 5.0L 2brl vortec to 5.7L 4brl vortec will add about 60hp at the prop (220hp to 280hp). That should put a smile on your face.

John_S

Rear Admiral

True, and poster should let us know if that is so. I'd guess that he has the 2brl carb version though. Most Bayliner dealers would only stock the lower cost carbed models, and special order the MPI.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have to replace my block on my 1999 Bayliner capri.
That boat is the 2050 Capri isn't it?

I did an engine replacement in one a couple of years ago (3.0L cracked block)

It ran pretty good with the 4-banger.....

With a 5.0L engine I would say it ALREADY puts a smile on his face!!! With a 5.7L and 4BBL carb, it will probably cause the occupants to scream in TERROR!!!:D:D

Cheers,

Rick

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not meaning to start an argument or anything, but it seems to be that going from a 4.3 to a 5.0 is one thing. Going from a 4.3 to a 5.7 is another. Wouldn't the drive unit have to be replaced with one with a proper gear ratio?

Wayne

John_S

Rear Admiral

I'm not meaning to start an argument or anything, but it seems to be that going from a 4.3 to a 5.0 is one thing. Going from a 4.3 to a 5.7 is another. Wouldn't the drive unit have to be replaced with one with a proper gear ratio?

Wayne

Probably not, in this case(5.0L to 5.7L). Bayliner used 1.47/1.5 ratio drives in most of there 220hp 5.0L. That is the same ratio used with 5.7L. Do a web search on the Bayliner 205 model and you will see. Even if it was the next nearest ratio, probably can get a prop to compensate, or change the ratio.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably not, in this case(5.0L to 5.7L). Bayliner used 1.47/1.5 ratio drives in most of there 220hp 5.0L. That is the same ratio used with 5.7L. Do a web search on the Bayliner 205 model and you will see. Even if it was the next nearest ratio, probably can get a prop to compensate, or change the ratio.

Mine is a 5.7 and has 1.47ratio. Not only that, he is not going from a 4.3, he is going from a 5.0.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would do it!

You can never have enough power in a boat!!!;)

I am still looking for a 502 for mine!!!

John_S

Rear Admiral

I would do it!

You can never have enough power in a boat!!!;)

I am still looking for a 502 for mine!!!

What? You think we didn't understood what this meant?

"With a 5.7L and 4BBL carb, it will probably cause the occupants to scream in TERROR!!!"

That said "do it" to me. :D

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

another vote for 5.7... later model with roller cam and vortec heads...

no need to worry about gear ratio, go with what you have and prop accordingly.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What? You think we didn't understood what this meant?

"With a 5.7L and 4BBL carb, it will probably cause the occupants to scream in TERROR!!!"

That said "do it" to me. :D

Well then, go for the "GOLD"....put a 383 stroker or a 400 in it!!!:p