33 ski-twin 1968 flywheel off

Last year I took it out once,no power to speak of Ran good in barrel; one dead cylinder no spark. Now just got the flywheel off ok used H.balancer tighened it and smacked it with a big rubber mallet. Now how do I find out which coil is bad or in other words where my problem is. I don't even remember which cylinder was ok. I already have the 2 new coils and points. Still in the boxes No condencers I thought they would have been included The coils on the motor a covered with a black sealer and no signs of ageing etc. Points look good.I have no electronics testers but can buy one if I knew what the heck I was doing. Also no manual on it . Will need a carb kit too.I will get one but where? I don't mind using both of the new coils I can use the other one on something else maybe.. They call me the Finnish genius but don't you dare believe it. I'm lucky I know righty tighty and lefty loosey. Ken

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 33 ski-twin 1968 flywheel off

while you are there do it all, don't need to go back. points, condensers, plug wires. laingsoutboards.com has all of it, cheap shipping, usually 4 day delivery, get a carb kit while you are at it, also do the impeller, not need to burn up the motor after fixing it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If the existing coils look good, then they probably are good - smooth surface, no cracking or sweating. I would start by dressing the points. Clean them up with a point file, or even some 400 wet/dry sandpaper folded over on itself. Run a file card with lacquer thinner on it through them once to clean any residue. Gap at .020". Set the flywheel back on and check for spark again...
- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

Don't forget to torque the flywheel nut down to the proper torque. I don't have the numbers for that motor. Someone will supply them, or consult your manual. If you don't do that, you'll just shear the key and have to pull it again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is something suspicious about those coils being coated with black stuff. That isn't the way they were made. Anyhoo, always suspect the obvious first. That would be dirty or oily points. It is very common for the spark plug wires to pinhole and short out where they are clamped up under the armature plate. The coil most close to the front of the motor is the one for the upper cylinder. A handy/cheap test instrument is a multimeter. You can get one at WalMart for about ten bucks. Using it, test the resistance between the spark plug boots and ground at the armature plate. Should be several k-ohms. Then test the resistance between where the leads are connected to the points, and ground at the plate. Should show zero with a cheap meter. With a good meter, it should be zero with the points closed and about an ohm with the points open. Lastly, with the cheap meter, disconnect the wires from the points and check the resistance from where you removed them and ground. Should be zero with the points closed and infinity with them open.

None of these will detect a spark jumping through the wire where it is clamped, as mentioned earlier. Nor a spark jumping through a cracked coil.

No matter what, buy, beg, borrow or steal a torque wrench and use it to tighten the flywheel nut to 100-105 ft/lbs. Ignore this and convert your motor to junk. Also, the flywheel and crankshaft tapers must be clean and dry before installing the flywheel.

The new coils are gray the ones on motor were black not burnt black just black like new condition. Dry also. Points didn't look burnt.
I picked up a multimeter I even got the battery in right. My confidence level isn't of the highest caliber goes along with my mech. and electrical skills. I just know enough not to plug in a cord and hold on to live ends.
Anybody have a manual for sale on it, the 33 hp evinrude? I also ordered a generic 4 plug wire set. Put your own ends on real wires nor carbon filled or whatever.
Mike I looked at your 33 hp. pictures mine looks a whole lot better under the hood,I saw only one small wire with corrosion on it. Underneath flywheel looks like brand new almost. Will order carb kit tomorrow Ken
Thanks all of you for the help so far!

i386

Captain

Will order carb kit tomorrow Ken
Thanks all of you for the help so far!

If you can find an OMC carb kit (not Sierra) it'll come with a new float and more goodies that the Sierra doesn't have.

Back at the motor. When I test for spark- (I put 2 new condensers in)- does the flywheel have to be tightened down. Plan on using starter motor to turn it over with plugs out. Remember I am a dummy at this.. I really should be looking at the motor when I am typing this. Bring computer out or motor in which both are impossible. I didn't order carb kit yet the high speed needle had come out and the end is not sharp like I thought it should be, it was rounded not tapered to a point. Wondering if I will need a replacement carb. Are there any pictures or drawing of what they should look like. Thanks Ken

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

High speed needle is not supposed to be sharp - it's actually quite blunt. Low speed needle could put your eye out, though...

Black plastic coated coils are fine - I've had them in motors before...

Flywheel does not have to be tight to test for spark. Just make sure the keyway is aligned properly and give it a spin. Little brothers, annoying neighbors, etc. make good spark testers (just kidding!!!)

- Scott

Well that makes me feel better . Will look for a OMC carb kit with float. Will check my battery and make sure it is charged,and check for spark. Thanks Ken