Volvo Duoprop questions...

DM5618

Recruit
First of all....what a great site! Certainly some experienced boaters and mechanics exchanging valuable information here. Now, to what brings me here. I recently purchased a 1988 60' Sumerset houseboat w/ twin Volvo AQ211A V-8's w/ Duoprop outdrives. Port outdrive shows good, clean lube on dipstick. Stbd. is of a good level, but milky indicating water. Port has a gray, grease oozing from a hole in the bellows above the water line that looks like lithium grease. And from either that grease, or somewhere else, I'm leaving an oil slick on the water. I don't own a trailer and it'll be awhile before I can access one. Therefore, I guess I need to know if there's anything that can be done or checked with the boat afloat. And is it far fetched to try to lower the outdrive(s) into some type of container and then pump the water out in order to drain, relube and check these outdrives?

Thank you in advance.
Don

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Duoprop questions...

is it far fetched to try to lower the outdrive(s) into some type of container and then pump the water out in order to drain, relube and check these outdrives?

Thank you in advance.
Don

This does sound possible but awkward. Haven't tried it myself.

Houseboats are the worst when it comes to maintenance. At a minimum, your going to have to pull the upper gear box off, which is the top section of the drive that the ujoint(upper) bellows attaches. Not the top cover plate but the upper 1/3 of the outdrive. But this doesn't mean you will be able to make the repairs you may or may not need.

Do you have any experience with working on these Motors and outdrives?

DM5618

Recruit

Thank you for your reply captmello. Unfortunately, I'm a refrigeration man by trade so I'm in a little over my head (pardon the pun). I found more problems while swimming around the boat this weekend. I'm probably just going to have to wait until a trailer is available and pull the boat. Thanks again! Don

captmello

Captain

Thank you for your reply captmello. Unfortunately, I'm a refrigeration man by trade so I'm in a little over my head (pardon the pun). I found more problems while swimming around the boat this weekend. I'm probably just going to have to wait until a trailer is available and pull the boat. Thanks again! Don

Well I'm a carpenter but it doesn't stop me.:eek::D

Ya, Pulling it out and fully servicing both outdrives is the best plan. We have another member with a houseboat who was going to pull out and service this spring. I don't think he ever did it. It sounds like quite the project getting those barges out and on land.

Depending on what you find and availability of parts in your area, I'd plan on having it out a couple weeks, or buy two of every part you may need and replace them or return them and hopefully get it back in the water sooner.

Have you found a mechanic familiar with the older volvo outdrives to do the work? If you need further mechanical advise, make sure to ask here.

Let us know how it goes.:)