Engine not turning

Hondbay

Cadet
I have a 2001 v6 evinrude outboard and I just replaced the lower unit, and when I went to turn the key, I can hear the starter, but it will not turn the engine. I know the engine is not stuck because I turn the engine by turning the prop while in gear. Any suggestions????

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine not turning

Battery fully charged (12.65 volts) and load tested? Checked 20 amp fuse? It is located near the starter motor. I had a 76 that would blow the fuse every time I dropped the lower.

Any nicks, abrasions, crunching when flexed regarding the wires/cables. Take all connections apart and make them SHINE, then re tighten. Do not over look the ground wires.

Voltage drop testing will isolate any defective component / wiring.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Hondbay

Cadet

I will check that, but you dont think it is anything mechanical in the installation of the LU?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Also, put the POS voltmeter lead on the small terminal on the solenoid. The NEG lead goes to ground. Have someone turn the ignition key to START. If you don't see 12V troubleshoot the harness between the engine and control box. If 12V is present every time, the switch is good.

Disconnect and inspect the large red harness plug in the cowl. Clean it as best you can with electrical contact cleaner, smear some grease around the contact edges and reconnect. Now use the ignition switch to try and start the engine. If it works every time the connector was the culprit. If not, you now need your trusty voltmeter.

Measure the voltage at the starter (+) terminal while somebody turns the key over to "start" - if you get within half a volt or so of the battery voltage(12.65), the starter is faulty.

Bad voltage at starter (with clean tight connections), measure the voltage at the solenoid small terminal with the yellow/red wire with the key turned over to "start" you should read within a half-volt of battery voltage(12.65), otherwise you have a wiring fault between the keyswitch & solenoid. Good voltage at solenoid but bad voltage at starter means faulty solenoid.

Now connect a single jumper cable between the POS battery terminal and directly to the large terminal on the starter. If the starter spins each time you do that, the solenoid is likely the culprit.

Connect another jumper cable to the NEG battery terminal and a good ground (bare bolt head or bracket) on the engine. Now do the same test you did previously. If the starter now goes ok, you have a negative battery cable problem or the solenoid is bad.

Hondbay

Cadet

Thanks again, will try in the morning and let you know!

Hondbay

Cadet

Thanks, will check in the morning, let you know my results