Repowering-What Would You Buy

cday

Seaman Apprentice
So...I think I'm going to give up on my old Evinrude 90hp. It's starting to cause trouble, one thing after another. First it was the fuel pump, then a thermostat stuck and burned up a head gasket, a couple hours later, the stator fails.

I think I'm going to bit the bullet and go for a new engine. They're a lot easier on gas than the old v4, and I need reliability where I'm headed. I think I'm going to stay in the 90 hp range, my boat performed pretty well when the engine was working right. ~39 mph empty with 2 guys and a couple cans of gas, ~35mph with all the gear and 4 people.

The boat is ahhh.....one of a kind I guess????? I built it from scratch last spring. Rather than try to explain the style of boat I'll just add a pic, lol. I will tell you that it is 18.5 feet long and is pretty heavy for it's size. There is no shortage of fiberglass in this one, there are places the fiberglass is a full 1.25" thick! There isn't a powerful enough outboard around that I'd have to worry about putting on the transom, lol, weight would be my only concern.

The question is, which 90hp engine would you buy today? All of the dealers are between 30-60 minutes away, so that doesn't really make much difference. Service would probably be about the same at all except evinrude, they might be a little better.

Don't just come out and say "I'd pick "x"". Try to give me a reason why you would pick "x".

I'm kind of leaning toward the etec, but what would you buy?

100_2465.jpg

6140_119705164746_509874746_3101168.jpg

100_2413.jpg

Fed

Commander
Re: Repowering-What Would You Buy

I was going to make you an offer to buy your old motor until I checked your location, snorted my coffee all over my keyboard.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Being the e-tec 90 is a 3 cyl. I would probably stay with a V4 to keep the same power you had. I would go with the e-tec 115 or 130. The 115 would be similar to what you currently have power and weight wise, as the e-tec will be a bit heavier.

cday

Seaman Apprentice

Being the e-tec 90 is a 3 cyl. I would probably stay with a V4 to keep the same power you had. I would go with the e-tec 115 or 130. The 115 would be similar to what you currently have power and weight wise, as the e-tec will be a bit heavier.

Really? I would have thought the 90 etec would've been a little better than the one we have now with regards to power?

Hey Fed, you're not the first one to get a chuckle out of that. It is my real location though, I really do live in a town called Dildo. I'd be more than happy to ship the engine out to you, might be a little costly though, lol.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go along with the Etec suggestion and if the boat is as sturdy as you've indicated I'd go for more power than a 90.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Really? I would have thought the 90 etec would've been a little better than the one we have now with regards to power?

Hey Fed, you're not the first one to get a chuckle out of that. It is my real location though, I really do live in a town called Dildo. I'd be more than happy to ship the engine out to you, might be a little costly though, lol.

I have read several threads and reviews of the 3cyl 90 e-tec not being as powerful as your 90 HP crossflow. I think you will be somewhat disappointed with it. It seems as if everybody compares the old 90 crossflows and looper V4's with the e-tec 115 and 130 v4's, as I believe the 115 block is the same as the 60* looper 90hp motors from 2001-2006.

cday

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmmmm........Definitely something to think about. I was really hoping to get away with a 90 though. It's ~100 pound lighter than a 115 or 130, and the price is lower. Right now, in this area, a 90 etec with controls/prop is going for $11'999.00, I know of one dealer who has a 2009 90 etec left over which I can get for $8800.

As long as the boat will do 35 mph with a 90 etec I'll be happy. That's the top speed I'm shooting for, I don't need anything more, though 55 mph would be nice, lol.

For those of you that have them, how do they truthfully compare with the four strokes for fuel usage?

cday

Seaman Apprentice

So...... I came across a 2008 Mercury Optimax 90 hp (two stroke direct injection) today. It was a government owned motor, and has never seen the water, 0 hours on the engine. It was traded in at the dealers for a trailer. I was told I can get this motor for $5800 including prop/controls + 13% tax. A new 90 etec is $9200 plus prop/controls + 13% tax, a 90 Yamaha is $11400 with prop/controls and taxes in. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the optimax?? It's a great price, I just haven't heard too much one way or the other on that motor. Is it reliable? What's the fuel mileage like?

Thanks for the responses.

ccckirch

Cadet

Seems to me the ETEC 115 is the best choice BUT that is a heluva deal on the Mercury. Think I would jump on it.

Bob427

Petty Officer 2nd Class

opti max one of the best outboards ever built
just my .02 cents

Bob

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I personally have never read or heard any unbiased opinion that any of the major brands are "head and shoulders" above the others. In other words, there's nothing in any of them that makes them objectively "best" all-around and worth a large premium or hassle getting service. Yea, there's differences, but none that trump a large discount you may find and/or dealer support.

If it were me, I'd buy the Merc without hesitation if everything is as it appears.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

First of all,this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth.You can do whatever you want,period.Im a mercury man.I love em!THE OLD ONES!I never owned any older evinrudes,but LOTS of people like them,too.with that said,I dont see why anyone would want to repower unless their motor is"toast".You could REBUILD that thing several times for the price of a new one.Ive read so many issues w/new motors and having alot of friends w/"newer technology"motors who have TRUELY one issue after another,I simply think you should drop a little cash on your motor,get it purring(probably is already),and enjoy.BOATING IS EXPENSIVE ENOUGH.If parts are readily available where you are,for your motor,thats my vote.A stator(how long since it was last replaced?),a fuel pump(rebuild is cheap and easy)and thermostat(again cheap and easy)arent"big issues".If your motors compression checks good(after overheat),i simply couldnt justify spending that much money on a new motor.again,just my opinion.

cday

Seaman Apprentice

To start out, since we've bought it we replaced the rectifier ($200), fuel pump could not be rebuilt it had the VRO, ($160), carb rebuild kit ($80), Stator ($50 used), Thermostats ($25 each!), cylinder head gasket ($35), I'm sure there's more, just can't think of it right now. Right now the old gal has low compression on one cylinder, and a gasket in the engine is leaking. She is in need of a complete tear down and over haul. I don't doubt for a minute that I could do it, but I really don't have the time. By buying a new engine I'll use a lot less gas than the old v4, and it should be more trustworthy. I spend a lot of time 20+ miles out on the north atlantic in february month in -20 (celsius) weather. It's nice to have something you can trust to get you home.

The Optimax didn't pan out, apparently she has a few bad injectors, and an overheat alarm. Either she really has trouble, or one of the salesmen's buddies wanted her, lol.

We just bought a new 90 HP Yamaha today. It wasn't really my first choice, but the price was good, and it should be a dependable engine. Hopefully she'll meet my expectations performance wise.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Comfort level about reliability trumps everything when you boat in places where breakdowns are a huge hassle and/or dangerous.

A lot of boaters, maybe the great majority, boat in areas where a breakdown or poor performance means a temporary hassle, the embarrassment of being towed 1/2 hour back to the dock or at worst a spoiled weekend. I'm absolutely not saying there's anything wrong with this usage, but they have the benefit of being able to tolerate a little more risk and/or aging equipment without having to be self-reliant on troubleshooting, maintenance, and fixing stuff.

I've never heard of anyone being unsure of the reliability of a new Yamaha! Have fun. I'd be interested in hearing your take of the power of this new engine compared to your old one (when the old one was in good running condition).

cday

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, a breakdown at the right time here could be bad, a lot worse than the embarrassment of getting towed in.

I won't get a chance to try her out until next weekend, when I do I'll get back to you.

cday

Seaman Apprentice

Hey d.boat, I said I'd get back to you with my thoughts on the new yamaha compared to the old rude v4 90, here I am, lol.

I finally got to get out on the water this weekend. I was itching to get her opened up, the first 2 hours of the break in seemed to last forever. Overall, I'm impressed with the yamaha, it performed a lot better than I was expecting. It really pulls pretty hard, top speed with one person and gear is 39 mph, that was in about 35 mph winds, lol. She still holds 37 mph with four people and gear aboard. The 90 Yamaha four stroke pulls harder than the old v4 ever did. However, in defense of the evinrude, she may have had low compression from the get go.

I still would have liked to have tried the Etec, but I am well pleased with the yammy.

The fuel mileage is a HUGE improvement over the old evinrude, we knew that was going to be the case though, lol. I'd say I'm using about half the gas.

Quite happy with the new engine. The yamaha's seem to have a reputation for being dependable as well, I'll have a lot more confidence in the engine when heading out in February now than I ever did.

I'm an Evinrude/Johnson boy through and through, but I really do like the Yamaha.

Oh....did I say I liked the yammy? lol.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'd say the Yamaha is a good choice, especially the 90 hp 2 stroke because it has a good reputation, and is one of the lightest 90 hp motor around. Was looking at them lately for my own repower, but ended up going with a rebuilt 2003 Johnson 90hp (2 stroke) instead because of the lower cost of parts and accessories. Plus the Johnson/Evinrude line of V4's are pretty bullet proof in the 2002 and up models.

The 4 stroke engines are very heavy, up to 100lbs more than their old 2 stroke brothers. I didn't like having to reduce the boats capacity by 100 lbs because of the heavier motor.

Another option is send the motor out for a complete rebuild. Cost half what a new motor will cost.

Bigprairie1

Commander

....love those Newfoundland town names!!! How close are you to 'Joe Batts Arm'?;):)
All Good
BP:):cool:

cday

Seaman Apprentice

....love those Newfoundland town names!!! How close are you to 'Joe Batts Arm'?;):)
All Good
BP:):cool:

Not too far, lol. I am right next to Spread Eagle, and Come By Chance though, lol.