just got a 54 evrinrude fleetwin 7.5hp help please

praisnm

Seaman
Re: just got a 54 evrinrude fleetwin 7.5hp help please

no I don't have an in at napa but I do know where a napa is...i guess the coil would not be listed as an evinrude part but somethin else? well I just don't have patience I am like a kid with a toy...i just wana play with it! haha. I really need to make a frame to clamp the motor on to. I made the mistake of loosenint a screw on the lower unit and really old fuel came out. so now my garage reeks

jbjennings

Captain

Praisnm,
You have the ideal motor to start learning how to work on 'em. They are not the usual Pain in the rear like most motors are. You will actually enjoy working on a 50's johnson motor. Stop dreading it and start taking her apart (I know I particularly dread a job if I'm not sure how I'm going to go about completing it!) Borrow a harmonic balancer puller from autozone and get three good 8 inch or so HIGH GRADE 1/4 20 bolts for it and pull the flywheel--very easy. Just tighten your balancer bolt pretty tight and tap lightly on the flywheel with a rubber hammer or just slowly keep tightening and "pop"--it comes off. Don't forget to torque the flywheel nut to 45lbs. when you put it back on.(Borrow a torque wrench from autozone, too). The coils have 3 screws that are obvious and you can change the coils lickety split. Make sure you push them toward the center of the crankshaft on both sides of the coil so they don't rub on the inside of the flywheel. Then clean the points and make sure they're gapped .20 inches. To remove the powerhead, all you have to have is a 7/16 end wrench and a good flathead screwdriver to remove a few screws and a couple of nuts. Be careful not to ruin the powerhead gaskets. It will come off carb and all. Just disconnect the fuel lines and adj. knobs. Under the flywheel is the attachment for the shifter rod from which you disconnect the bolt and your lower unit will come off after you take out the obvious lower unit bolts. Then to replace the impeller--don't lose the little "key" that the impeller fits onto the driveshaft with (it will fall out when you take out the old impeller. Make sure you slide the water tube in the grommmet carefully and put it all back together. You'll probably have to rebuild the carb by using a 99 cent can of walmart carb cleaner and a little compressed air to blow out the passages. All these parts aren't that expensive. You will also have a VERY RELIABLE used 7.5hp outboard motor (in my opinion, the MOST reliable 7.5hp outboard no matter the age) for a fraction of the cost of a new one. And you will then know how to keep it in tip-top shape. You should also borrow a compression tester from autozone or buy a 20 dollar one and check the compression on it before you spend another dime on it.
Don't be scared of working on it. That motor is engineered so well that it "makes sense" even to someone that's not experienced. McCalavy, WBeaton, and F-R can answer ANY question that you have about that motor and will basically know the answer before you finish the question. I really think you should check the compression and if it's around 80 lbs. on both cylinders, fix it. We can even post you some pics of what to do if you need 'em.
I hope you fix it,
JBJ

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well since you don't seem to know much about outboards. You should do it it would be a good learning experience.:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Whew. Just caught up on this thread. The engine looks nice. The coils do not. Sorry but not to hard to change.

What do you mean you took a screw out of the LU and gas came out? Or was it LU oil which really stinks? The important thing is was the oil dirty or white-ish creamy? If black, it's just old (which is good). If whitish then water is getting in which is bad. (although some of mine do that - I just change the oils a lot :)

But I agree with JBJ. Do a compression test first as if it's bad, don't waste any more loot on the engine and part it out.

I'd be happy with a '54 7.5, right now I only have a '50 7.5 and it runs pretty well.

Oh, and JBJ, you can get carb cleaner at walmart for $0.99? And it works?

Oh, and I hate to tell you but the plug wires look a little rough also.

praisnm

Seaman

wow...ok...so here is what I am thinkin for a grocery list...i guess after I check compression....which. I am not sure how to do...a friend and I tried to get the LU off with no luck...and I think it was LU oil just a vey little bit stunk up my whole garage for over a day. it was not the drain plug...it was the fill plug I guess...it was higher up than the drain. anyway we never got the LU off...i can see 2 rods...but not sure how to get them off. I see on top of the flywheel...there is one nut...i would think u just loosen that and the flywheel comes off? so I was thinkin...2 coils...impeller...plugs and wires...oil change...if compression ok...also...how do I clean out the gas tank? I checked and it holds pressure...i plugged the holes on the connector for the hose...and then pumped up some pressure...and let off and u could hear and feel the air shoot out. I think she will run good!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The shift rod is what is hanging up the lower unit. It disconnects under the powerhead - need to remove the powerhead to access it. Try to save the gasket as best you can. I've reused them if okay, and a marginal one can become a template to cut out a new one from gasket material.

You need a harmonic puller (3-point) to remove the flywheel. Sears has them for relatively cheap. Small engine shop or a marine shop might pop it if you show up with donuts at coffee break time. DO NOT pull on the outer rim. Sometimes a little upward lift of the flywheel and a light tap with a ballpeen hammer on the NUT, threaded most of the way onto the top of the crankshaft, will pop it. DO NOT beat on the crankshaft to remove the flywheel.

Easiest way to clean the tank is to remove the top canister assembly and scrub away. Heavy rust might take some sanding, but dried up goo sometimes softens up with lacquer thinner and steel wool...

- Scott

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Compression tests are easy. Buy ($20) or borrow a compression tester. Take out both spark plugs, Screw the tester in one hole and pull 3-5 times until the gauge does not go any higher and that's the #. Then do the same for the other side. The numbers should be within 10 lbs of each other and over 80psi (or so) to get it running ok...

Xcusme

Commander

Praisnm,
.....Then clean the points and make sure they're gapped .20 inches.
JBJ

That is a mis-type......should be .020 The devils in the details...:)

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry..No time right now for a proper post, but here are a couple pics of the same motor when i removed the powerhead..
HPIM0007.jpg

HPIM0006.jpg

HPIM0005.jpg

wbeaton

Commander

Add a new cork washer (BRP 303355) and o-ring (BRP 303347) for the lower crankcase seal to your parts list.

praisnm

Seaman

so after the spin starter is off do I undo the nut on the bolt...then use puller?

praisnm

Seaman

YET ANOTHER PROBLEM!!!

ok so i started tearing into the motor the last couple nights..a friend and i were trying to get to the impeller...well we entered in this circled area...
workingon.jpg

so we undid the 4 bolts from the under side...and tried to look at the shifter rods or whater is in there...i guess shifter and drive shaft...needless to say we never got to the impeller. now i went to autozone tonight to get the compression tester...excited about getting well on my way...confident that i now have an idea of what i am doing...i get it all hooked up...and give it a nice pull...yeah..the flywheel locks up...so there goes my hope to get compression tested.
a little more info on everything i have done...i have taken the spin starter off..the plate on top of the flywheel...and the teeth the starter grabs...went into the lower part that was circled in the picture above...we tried to twist it sideways (which might be the problem), to get it to disconnect the shaft...i put it all back together...we even give it several pulls...then we took off a part on the backside of the outboard...just under the engine cover...that angled metal piece...it has a gasket...which is in good condition still..we did however give it some pull starts with the lower part circled above...without tightening it down.
while spending 2 1/2 hrs tonight trying to get the darn flywheel to spin more than 3/4 turn...i notice that if i lay it on its side..leave the bottom part circled above open...spin it...while on its side...then placing the motor upside down...and spin the flywheel it doesn't lock up...WIERD I KNOW!

so i'm sittin there 2 1/2 hrs later starin (at my motor with a compression tester hangin out) like a fat kid in a heath food store....i had no idea what to do next...

ALL I NEED IS FOR MY FLYWHEEL TO SPIN WHEN I PULL IT...JUST TO GET A READING OFF MY COMPRESSION SO I KNOW IF I'M WASTING MY TIME! LOL. then my humble attempts go to work...and i end up with a motor in worse condition that i got it, lol.

sorry, i'm a little frustrated

IS THERE ANYONE HERE FROM ST. LOUIS MISSOURI??? I NEED HELP!!! LOL.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... that doesn't sound too good. Twisting the lower unit (LU) is not a good thing. They drop off nicely once you have unhooked the shifter under the power head (as I believe was mentioned further up).

At this stage I would remove the power head and then still do the compression test. There's only around 7 screws or bolts to remove it. Once it is off then you can unhook the shifter rod by 2 little nuts.

You might have caused LU damage by trying to twist it but at this point I would separate them to find out. Once you have done that, I'd repost.

praisnm

Seaman

ok, this will really show you how much i don't know...where is the "power head...is it basically where the engine stops..and then goes into the long skinny part of the motor...like from mounting bracket down

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yep. the power head is the engine. It sits on top of the exhaust tube (long skinny part) where the driveshaft goes down to the lower unit. You will have to remove it to unhook the shifter so that you can remove the LU, initially to change the impeller, but now to ensure it is not damaged.

praisnm

Seaman

ok...so that will have like 6-8 screws and a gasket right? i was just in the garage starting to take it apart...and figured...well i better make sure 1st..
so that would be right along this red line on the pic...
workingon2.jpg

praisnm

Seaman

also...will i need to do anything with the bracket area where it twists..i see it is connected down toward the bottom..and looks like a metal strap

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes, separate at the red line.

And the twist throttle will remove up out of the slot when the powerhead lifts up.

If you're serious about fixing it, a manual might be a good idea.