Repowering-What Would You Buy

D

DJ

Re: Repowering-What Would You Buy

I'd say the Yamaha is a good choice, especially the 90 hp 2 stroke because it has a good reputation, and is one of the lightest 90 hp motor around. Was looking at them lately for my own repower, but ended up going with a rebuilt 2003 Johnson 90hp (2 stroke) instead because of the lower cost of parts and accessories. Plus the Johnson/Evinrude line of V4's are pretty bullet proof in the 2002 and up models.

The 4 stroke engines are very heavy, up to 100lbs more than their old 2 stroke brothers. I didn't like having to reduce the boats capacity by 100 lbs because of the heavier motor.

Another option is send the motor out for a complete rebuild. Cost half what a new motor will cost.

He bought the four stroke.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Repowering-What Would You Buy

I think a lot of the choice as to which motor is right for anyone is a matter of which brand has the best dealer or parts support in your area. For me, it's Evinrude and Yamaha, all others are a challenge at best to get parts.

You can't go wrong with the Yamaha motors, I've not yet run across a bad one.
I do have a few buddies with Etech issues though, most are electrical problems that don't seem to ever get resolved by the dealer.
I don't get involved so I can't tell if it's a motor issue or a dealer issue.

The one thing I can saw for Yamaha is that they have worldwide support for their motors and one of the best reputations out there right now.