1977 searay sedancrusier

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Son-in law dropped it off in my frount yard
Think I will have to restore it myself (Still have the truck he left here).

Only thing I know about boats is that they should float when you put them in the water.

What to I do to find out what has to be done. I know the engine needs replaced, but looking for infomation on everything else.

Have experance working with wood, I also work in aerospace manufacturing. Don't make things, just watch other people do it. Think I can do this with a littel info. Only problem is I don't have a clue what to do or were to start

Last edited:

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1977 searay sedancrusier

CLAYAROBINSON,
Welcome to Iboats.
I would recommend that you start reading a lot of threads to get an idea of haw a boat is put together. You will need to check the stringers, transom and deck for rot. By reading and researching you can see what could be involved and see if it is something you would like to do. The folks on here are always willing to give you all the help you need. Pic's would help too.
Take care and good luck.
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Think I i will be tacking on the project. Did an initial inspection today. found a few mushrooms (flash back). Right side of cabin has a littel rot on rear wall. flour of cabin is soft. And all reailing on bow nand stern needs replaced.

Think this will take a lot of work. The best i can tell from reading is boats are glued together and you have to cut them a part. "SHE" says I will have to finish tileing the bathroom before I can think about the boat. Seams she doesn't know how to set correct priorities.

"SHE" will be at here moms today so I will tear the carpet up and take some pics today.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah, a supportive spouse is important also. :D

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As received pics
will be removing carpet shortly and upload more pics to get some feed back on were to start

Attachments

• other side shot.JPG
    other side shot.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
  • side shot.JPG
    side shot.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • engine 1.JPG
    engine 1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • strerring.JPG
    strerring.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 0

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy crap! That is one big boat! You can always tell "She", you thought she meant tile the bathroom in the boat first?
Nice project.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gutted the left side of the cabin today. it apears the only damage to the deck is down the middel of the deck in the cabin and the 2 x 4 supporting the back upper deck. The top part of the foam is dry. Do I need to take a core sample and how deap? To replace the middel of the deck in the cabin I guess i just cut it out with a circular saw. Am i going in the wright direction with this project? How do I inspect the stringers?

I know I have to redue all of the wood on the inside of the cabine (ie seats, sink cabinets, bathroom, and back wall of cabin. Would like to start on this but need you guy's input on the structual part first.

Thanks in advance for feedback

Clay

Attachments

• damage 1.jpg
    damage 1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • damage 2.jpg
    damage 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
To check out the stringers I would suggest you do it in the back of the boat,
possibly the engine compartment. toward the bottom of the stringers drill a small hole 1/4" -3/8" and look at the wood you get out. Drill several core samples to get an overall look at the status. The wood should be dry and look like normal wood. if it's wet and black in color. Well start stripping everything else out because you will be busy. You can check the transom in the same manner. Just don't drill all the way through. If everything looks good you can seal the holes up with 5200 or PB (Thickened resin).
Wifes are not always very supportive. :(
Have fun and take care.
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bob,

Will try that next week end. Read your thread. Hope I don't have to tear down that far. Would be rewarding though. Good luck on yours. Will post more pics next weekend. What is it about teak? Most of the wood on mine is oak. Was told that it sold with teak, but don't know is someone had replaced it. Do you know if teak is what I should be using for some reason when I get to that piont.

Clay

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can anyone help me with this?

Based on what I have read and seen on these forums, it looks like the sides on the middel section of the deck are stringers. Does anyone know if this is correct?:confused:

Attachments

• stringers.jpg
    stringers.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
I hope that you don't have too either. It is a lot of work but at least I will know the total construction of my boat and that it's solid.
I'm not sure about the Sea Ray but I would suggest you to search other Sea Ray threads. One I would recommend is Hull extension by opp's. His was a Sea Ray and he covers every aspect of a rebuild. On my boat, in the fuel tank compartment and the engine area the first side panel on each side is a bulkhead and not a stringer. The stringer is actually outboard of that about 2.5" on each side. So, check out some other Sea Ray's.
Bob

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool project, I actually looked at a similar boat before picking up mine it was a 240 SDB.
If your boat is built like mine then yes those are stringers there will be another set above the chine (little ridge that runs 3/4 the length of the hull about 2/3 of the way from the keel to the square edge of the hull sides and bottom) man I hope that made sense.
Also that tank should be your fuel tank as the boat is old enough that there won't be be a waste/ holding tank.
Mine rotted away from a leaky door from the cockpit to cabinthe first 2 feet of stringers (from the transom)actually lokked good.
good luck with it.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TIWAS,

Thanks for the input.:)

The tank under the cabin looked like a fual tank but I have one in the engine compartment. Thinking the one under the cabin was abandend and they added the other one becouse it was easyer then replacing the orignal.

Does this sound correct?:confused:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

And all reailing on bow nand stern needs replaced.

If you are talking about the wood railings, they should be teak. In which case, you should be able to refinish them, relatively easily. Just didn't want you taking them off and throwing them away.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TIWAS,

Thanks for the input.:)

The tank under the cabin looked like a fual tank but I have one in the engine compartment. Thinking the one under the cabin was abandend and they added the other one becouse it was easyer then replacing the orignal.

Does this sound correct?:confused:

Could be, any chance that the one in the engine compartment was for a kicker motor ie running mixed gas? or just as an aux tank? something to check anyway, I imagine that you would lose quite a bit of capacity going away from the factory tank.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Walked in the cabin today after work. The floor isn't as solid as it was when I pulled the plywood patch off Sunday. Foam must have dried out. Didn't think it was wet. Will be gutting the starboard side of cabin tomorrow. The starboard side is the right side when looking forward isn't it. Don't you just love newbees.

Bob,
Started to read your thread from the start. Looking forward to seeing what you did.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

What you are pointing to in the photos should very well be the stringers. If the center section of floor needs replacing, why not cut it out along the edge of the stringers? With any luck you can then determine their condition. This would also allow you to determine if the fuel tank is what you find below, and if it is in good condition.

Have you check the stringers under the motor, or the transom yet?

My father owned the Flybridge version of that boat a long time ago. They have a good amount of room for a 24'er.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
I hope you enjoy the read. My project is taking a long time because I'm away from home so much. I'm at least making progress.
Make sure you check out everything well on your boat. You really don't want to take short cuts and end up tearing out your new work again.
Take care
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jusy got out of the shower. Hey, why didn't someone tell the new guy "Make sure the portapoty is empty before lifting up and sideways in one thrusting motion".:( I was in a rush to get somethings done becouse I stayed a littel late at work today. You no what they say. Haste makes wast (clean-up). That one kind of killed the project for the evening. AND NO! I did note take pictures of todays progress.

P.S. Thinks for the info you guys do give me.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wife won't let me work on the boat today:mad:
She did say I could go outside and play all day saterday and sunday if I was a good boy and made progress on the shower friday:)

My plan is to have all the stuff that is screwed/bolted down excpet the engine removed this weekend so I can start drilling and cutting to find out what i am dealing with. And yes, I am hoping when I cut the center section out and remove that tank it will give me a look at the midel stringers.

Bob,
I know you have a littel experience with wood. Got a good deal on a 8 foot 1x4 piece of oak. It's a littel twisted. Do you know an easy way to straighten it out?

Attachments

• this one.jpg
    this one.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0