Drive Shaft Shimming!?!? - Johnson 90

Palssonater

Seaman
'01 Johnson 90HP V4. Turns out my cracked gearcase was severely distorted. Needed to order a new case all together. Putting everything back together now and wondering what dictates how much to shim the driveshaft. Shaft is spinning freely to prop but you can still hear the clicking of the gear. Is there a gear lash level that I should have at the prop. Running about 20 to 25 degrees now.

Any specs or procedures out of any manual would be very helpful. As well as any words of wisdom when dealing with shimming your driveshaft and reassembly of bottom end?

Palssonater

Seaman
Re: Drive Shaft Shimming!?!? - Johnson 90

Is there anyone out there that can help me out. Can't even buy a Service Manual for this motor. J90PLSIF. There is an E90PLSIF(Evinrude) that oughta be close to it eh?

I really only need the driveshaft shimming procedure. Any Marine techs that have access to that info on here?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The OEM shop manual has the procedure ... the motors are the same except the color and logo. It's the prop shaft that needs shimming.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The OEM shop manual has the procedure ... the motors are the same except the color and logo. It's the prop shaft that needs shimming.

well there are DEFINATELY shims on the drive shaft!!!!!!! mine has three!!!

under the bearing housing which is under the water pump!!

i didnt see any shims on the prop shaft, but the book says there are shims used on the COUNTER rotation lower units!!!!

but they dont show any on the standard units!.....

bob

Palssonater

Seaman

I haven't seen a shim on my prop shaft. Only on my driveshaft. Came out of the old "smushed" housing with .009. I did manage to find some specs from an marine tech. Looking for .020 of gearlash on the driveshaft between both gears. Guess I will go from there.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I haven't seen a shim on my prop shaft. Only on my driveshaft. Came out of the old "smushed" housing with .009. I did manage to find some specs from an marine tech. Looking for .020 of gearlash on the driveshaft between both gears. Guess I will go from there.

I can take pictures of the pages in my manual that deal with setting the drive shaft up....I bet they are close...the lower units interchange up to 2005 from what i hear( the eagle motor small gear case V4s)

if you need them...

bob

clanton

Rear Admiral

The measurement is between the pinion gear and drive shaft bearing housing plus .020. Pinon gear installed and torqued. Special or home made tool used to do this.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Poster Schematic may have the measurement.

Palssonater

Seaman

bob johnson...that'd be awesome! Its exactly what I need. 0.020 is the spec I've gotten off a few people, but could sure use the procedure & location to measure it.

I am confused as to what you meant Clanton. The pinon gear and the driveshaft housing are seperated quite a ways away. Seperated by the lower driveshaft.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I will try to find a photo of shimming tool.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

bob johnson...that'd be awesome! Its exactly what I need. 0.020 is the spec I've gotten off a few people, but could sure use the procedure & location to measure it.

I am confused as to what you meant Clanton. The pinon gear and the driveshaft housing are seperated quite a ways away. Seperated by the lower driveshaft.

vhrj3r.jpg

or this one
js2346.jpg

2ni34lz.jpg

2ign8n8.jpg

2potg5y.jpg

bob

Palssonater

Seaman

Aha! It appears I had my theory wrong. The shim is not to really compensate for casting discrepancies of the lower unit, but more so for the joining of the pinion gear to the lower driveshaft(which is also cast), to the upper drive shaft. Got it now. I thought it was a measurement done after the driveshaft was placed in the lower unit.

Essentially 0.009 out, then 0.009 in when using the same drive shaft.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Aha! It appears I had my theory wrong. The shim is not to really compensate for casting discrepancies of the lower unit, but more so for the joining of the pinion gear to the lower driveshaft(which is also cast), to the upper drive shaft. Got it now. I thought it was a measurement done after the driveshaft was placed in the lower unit.

Essentially 0.009 out, then 0.009 in when using the same drive shaft.

well...maybe not.....if you use all the same parts that came out...then yes...but if you buy a new driveshaft bearing housing..

then you will have to come up with new numbers...thus you need the tool....

PS: the tool has nothing to do with the upper drive shaft...just for shimming the lower driveshaft so that the pinion gear has the proper clearance....the pinion gears just goes onto the lower drive shaft all by itself...no shims under it or near it... the shims are all up by the drive shaft bearing and thrust washer!!!!!!!!!

at least thats the way i am seeing it..

bob

bob

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

bob's got it right. The shims hold the pinion gear to the drive gears with proper amount of force -- too little or too much, the result is broken teeth.

The pinion gear has to be installed on the driveshaft and torqued to spec outside the motor for this measurement. And that distance is not published at least not in the manual for my motor.

Attachments

• driveshaft shim tool.jpg
    driveshaft shim tool.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 7