Waht did I do to cause this??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Waht did I do to cause this??

What make and model engine, GD?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Did you pump gear lube in without removing the vent screw?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't know your engine, but there is an upper seal on the gearbox that apparently has failed, or, as Harker said, you may have overpressurized the gearcase by forcing oil in without opening the vent. I'd bet that is what you did as you would have to put one heck of a volume of oil into that lower unit with the screw out to develop enough pressure to force it by the upper driveshaft seal.......and you would have oil everywere.

Mark

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Not knowing what engine it is makes it a guessing game.If its a Johnson OB then 2 places it could leak,the shift rod seal or the drive shaft seal under the impeller pump.Time to drop the lower and pressure test.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for lack of info is 1994 8 HP. Actually used one of those samll hand pumps that fits on quart bottles.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

Did you have the vent screw out when filling?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Almost a certainty...drop the lower unit and see if you can press the seals back down. Of course, if you didn't know to take out the upper vent screw, you probably should take it to someone that knows outboards. Don't run it till you get it fixed or you will have a lower full of water.