How do I hook up an extra battery on my boat.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Hey fellow boaters! - Well last year I picked up some new speakers and deck for my boat and it sounds awesome. I keep the stero on while the boat is running but while the boat is off I only let it run for about 15 mins then turn it off because I dont want the battery to go dead. So while I was at the sandbar this weekend with no music I figured I should add another battery to the boat to use the speakers I spent 400 bucks on might as well throw another 100 in there for another battery. I see boats there just turn on there boat with there drive all the way up but isnt that bad for the u joint? or is it ok

How do I go about hooking it up and is there anything else I need to get?
Take it that when Im at the sandbar or sitting that the stero would just run off the one battery and the other on should be good to go.

Any one have pics of there set up

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I hook up an extra battery on my boat.

Get a battery switch. It will have #1,#2, ALL, OFF positions. I've always ran two batteries. While you are running the motor have it in the ALL position to charge all batteries, then while you are sitting only run off of one or the other.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Get a battery switch. It will have #1,#2, ALL, OFF positions. I've always ran two batteries. While you are running the motor have it in the ALL position to charge all batteries, then while you are sitting only run off of one or the other.

Yes, this is the way to go. There are numerous posts on how to do it. Perform a keyword search in the electronics section and you'll find them.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, this is the way to go. There are numerous posts on how to do it. Perform a keyword search in the electronics section and you'll find them.

I tryed to and for some reason couldnt find one. Thought I have seen it before on her with directions? Your also supposed to criss cross the battery terminals right?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

my take on it is that you would.....

1. Disconnect your positive line currently connected to your battery and connect it to the com terminal on the switch

2. Run a new positive line from the existing battery to terminal 1 of the switch

3. Run a new positive line from the 2nd battery to terminal 2 of the switch

4. Run a negative line from the 2nd battery over to the existing battery. Then just leave the ground connection in place that is on your current battery.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

my take on it is that you would.....

1. Disconnect your positive line currently connected to your battery and connect it to the com terminal on the switch

2. Run a new positive line from the existing battery to terminal 1 of the switch

3. Run a new positive line from the 2nd battery to terminal 2 of the switch

4. Run a negative line from the 2nd battery over to the existing battery. Then just leave the ground connection in place that is on your current battery.

Ok so both 1 and 2 need to have a postive cable to the switch and also to the com or just to 1 and 2? In the diagram on the link it looks like just 1 and 2. Also where can I find on of theses switches at?

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Positive line from each battery to terminal 1 & 2 only. You can get the switches here on iboats for around $30.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

whats the switch called cant find it?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help guys!

So what tools and stuff do I need to get this project down.

1) new marine battery
2) Guest switch for 2 battery
3) Extra wire to run the positve of the battery to the switch.

Anything else?

Know im going to need a drill and stuff to mount the switch but I just wanted to see what else I would need to buy before I jump into this project?

Also isnt it bad to START YOUR BOAT AT THE SAND BAR IN LIKE 2-3 Feet of water WITH THE DRIVE ALL THE WAY UP?????

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I might suggest you read the article I posted here the battery isolator sounds right and at 65 bucks it is cheap insurance

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sitting at a sand bar with the drive up does not damage the U-joint because it is not spinning. Running the engine with the drive tilted full up is an issue. Running idling in 2-3 feet of water around a sand bar is not an issue. Stirring up the sand by continuously idling through the area can cause an issue.

As for your switch project, all of the cables between the batteries and the switch MUST be the same size as the battery cables going to the engine. You cannot use small gauge wire for this. You will need a crimp tool and appropriate size ring terminals that get attached to the end of each cable.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

if the prop is out of the water, the impeller might not get enough water to properly cool the engine. I know mine works this way, i had it up too high idling out of the marina one day and it was getting warmer than usual. lowered the drive all the way and in less than 1 min it was normal again. if its not that high i guess its alright.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if the prop is out of the water, the impeller might not get enough water to properly cool the engine. I know mine works this way, i had it up too high idling out of the marina one day and it was getting warmer than usual. lowered the drive all the way and in less than 1 min it was normal again. if its not that high i guess its alright.

To my understanding they have a "trim limit" for that reason. Past that point is for trailering only. When it hits that spot it is no longer safe or good for the drive to run it higher.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks didnt think it was good to just leave it running at the sandbar with the trim and trailer button fully up to recharge the battery. My boats a 89 so I will just get a secound batter rather then taking a chance of sucking up lots of sand or over heating it, damage my u joint or drive.

As far as the battery isolator goes ill will just make sure to switch it to the second battery when I get to the sandbar. How many of you have an isolator on theres.

Getting my tools and stuff ready to start this project in the next couple days and try to figure out where to mount the switch(guest things) thinging about just throwing in right under the seat by the speaker to keep the wires short.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yes, newer ones do but mine doesnt. some people, like myself, raise it above the limit when beached anyways. I put my hand under the drive at the beach and see if it has clearance. in this pic you can see it sticking above the water:

Augustlakepics014-1.jpg

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

got almost everything down just need to get one more wire to put a negative to the com