TV projectors ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I got a few questions on these. I'm going to be putting up ceiling beams in my living room. I wish to build in a projector into one of the beams to project onto one of the walls.

The big question is that most say they are HD compatible. Does this mean that they too can display the image in HD or that it means it will work with HD? Or is there any projectors that does project images in HD? Thanks........SS

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: TV projectors ?

Heya Mayfloat

I think it means they can handle HD signals but I doubt unless you have a very high end projector that they can deliver HD on the screen. We have one in our rec room and it's HD compatible but definitely not HD on the screen. Ours is an NEC VT45 about 3 yrs old but still works well. Just remember to leave plenty of ventilation for your projector. The lamps get very hot and if they overheat they'll blow. Most lamps are pretty expensive to replace.

Luv havin' the game on the 100" diag screen!

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Knotty, your VT45 IS a HiDef projector capable of both 720p and 1080i operation. If you don't see HD it's cause your not providing it with an HD quality signal.

Mayflower, HD compatible typically means that it will project with high definition (720i or above), but it doesn't have a built in HD tuner so to view HD channels you need an external set-top HD reciever.

KnottyBuoyz

Knotty, your VT45 IS a HiDef projector capable of both 720p and 1080i operation. If you don't see HD it's cause your not providing it with an HD quality signal.

Mayflower, HD compatible typically means that it will project with high definition (720i or above), but it doesn't have a built in HD tuner so to view HD channels you need an external set-top HD reciever.

Thnx Quad. Didn't know that. Yup no hidef going in. Just an old Expressvu satellite receiver. The DVD picture is pretty good though, that'd be hi-def right? Sorry don't know too much about that stuff, the kid is the expert! *lol*

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

So the projector can produce the images of HD with the right signal and tuner. Cool, I just might be able to sell this plan to the wife after all. Thanks,,,,,,,SS

Skeg Party

Recruit

I have a projector with a 105" screen.
You'll never regret going with this set-up.

I've forgotten most of the research I did when I installed this.........it's been about one year.
But a great place to start is Projector Central
There is also another forum that helped me a lot, but I lost the linc when my old computer died.

Besides the projector (getting cheaper by the day), cables were my biggest expense.
I have cables for my DVD, computer and cable TV hooked-up.
I also ran a spare for future use.
You can get really good cables from monoprice.com.
The quality seems to be as good as Monster Cables, but about half the price.

My projector came with a screen, but I ended up building my own...........DON'T buy a screen!

I'll be glad to elaborate on this topic, but you can find lots of info at the site I supplied.

PS: Hope I didn't bend the rules by listing other sites here.

KnottyBuoyz

..........DON'T buy a screen!

Agree on that point! We just pained the drywall with a flat white latex and then put a border around that of flat black trim. It works perfectly. We have a friend who spent a ton of money on a top of the line screen and it isn't any better. Best part is the flat latex can be washed or repainted if necessary. Cost about $25 for paint and trim.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yep, I was going with the flat white paint on the drywall. That way when something gets throwed at the picture, its not as costly to repair :D

Millerman

Seaman Apprentice

We have a Hitachi PJ-TX100 running at 150" and love it. We painted the wall flat white at first then after doing some research repainted flat white with a bit of grey tint. The difference in contrast was amazing. Much better resolution. If you want to go pro I have a friend that used this product and is happy. Don't think it's night and day over my set up though. http://www.goosystems.com/

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Dan

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The DVD picture is pretty good though, that'd be hi-def right? Sorry don't know too much about that stuff, the kid is the expert! *lol*

Nope, believe it or not, standard DVD's are NOT high def. They're much better than the standard video broadcast signal and video tape, but they still don't meet the requirements for HD. The new enhanced DVD's (Sony's Blue Ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD) will meet the HD standards. Current ones aren't too bad, though. But with a set top converter and a true HD signal the image is absolutely stunning! You can pick out the split ends on the hair on the pimple on Brittany's nose, if you have any desire to do so.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The quality seems to be as good as Monster Cables, but about half the price.

ANd on this subject, Monster Cables are of good quality, but they way overstate their superiority using 'techno hype', that doesn't pass an electrical engineer's scrutiny(mine), to support their outrageous prices. Any good quality cable will provide the proper, quality signal that you need to see your HD picture properly. There's no need to pay for the 'hype'.