1974 9.8 merc not going into reverse( update: fixed it )

When the shifter is put in reverse, it goes in neutral. when you put it in neutral, its in forward. When its in forward, its in forward.
I can see the linkage twisting when I move it. The motor will run in forward and neutral just fine.

thanks

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 9.8 merc not going into reverse

First: I am going to guess you have replaced your impeller since the last time this motor ran and shifted properly.

Second: You will find your answer if you look up a thread titled "Forward/Reverse Backward" started by me on here a couple of months ago.

Best of luck!

First: I am going to guess you have replaced your impeller since the last time this motor ran and shifted properly.

Second: You will find your answer if you look up a thread titled "Forward/Reverse Backward" started by me on here a couple of months ago.

Best of luck!

not really the same problem. See I have no reverse. I have two forwards and a neutral. No reverse. I wonder if the problems could be linked?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't have two forwards. You have neutral and forward, right now at least. When you shift into reverse, you are in nuetral, and when you move to what should be nuetral, you are in forward, then there is not a shift occurring when you move your shifter into forward. I suggested the thread I did because there is some excellent information in there about how the shift on a mercury OB works. Your motor is one year newer than mine, but the lower units are exactly the same. Read the thread and see if it doesn't help you.

BTW---Was I correct about the lower unit being off since the last time it worked properly? Or has the motor ever worked properly since you have owned it?

Oh, and more info: Is it a Mercontroller? Have you done any work on the controller if not the lower unit?

I bought the motor. Rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump. fired it off and used it. I know I should have put a new impeller i it , but it was working properly so I left it. I have'nt messed with the lower unit.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, it was shifting like this once you got it running?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

And what kind of controller?

Yeah, it was like this since I got it. Its tiller steer with the shifter on the side.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it was like this since I got it. Its tiller steer with the shifter on the side.

Even BETTER! You eliminated the whole controller/cable part of the discussion.

O.K. Here's the thing, IDK how well it is doing as far as moving water through the system, but most of the ppl. on here will tell you to replace your impeller annually, along with plugs. Second: most ppl on here are going to advise that you buy a genuine merc manual if you are going to work on this motor much. I have a Clymer for mine, it's O.K. I am shopping for the Merc one. Third: I strongly beleive that if you will spend 15-20 minutes and read the thread I told you about, you will be able to fix this problem on your own. I can almost guarantee that the last person that had it off fooled with the shift shaft and got it out of place.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, and if you have to pull the lower unit anyway, and you don't know for sure about the impeller, I'd replace it while you are there. It is easy and cheap.

Thanks for the help. I'll read that thread through. So you have a 9.8 with controls and a wheel? Never seen a little motor setup like that!

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I have a 500, but the lower units are pretty much the same. I just kinda jumped the gun about your rigging, I had forgotten it was a 9.8.

thanks for the help man. If I read it right. I'm gonna take off the lower unit. Make sure there both in neutral and put it back together. Sounds pretty easy.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you read the part about going CCW and seeing what gear you are in. That's where you start to find out whether or not that's your culprit. But, yeah, it was fairly easy. Hope it fixes ur prob., and come back and let us all know if so!

Well, I got it fixed. took about 15 minutes. No big deal. Dropped lower unit. made sure it was in forward gear. Made sure shifter was in forward gear. Put it back together. thanks for all the help.