Clear 2 part paint?

Bert

Seaman
Does anyone know of a clear 2 part paint like Perfection or Algrip. It's either roll and tip a clear paint or spraying clearcoat on my hull.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Clear 2 part paint?

System Three has an excellent two part waterborne LPU. They have a clear. It is a true 2-part marine linear poly urethane. The best part is that you don't need safety equipment to apply it. Smell like latex paint. I have used it on bright work and over their other colors. It is excellent stuff and easy to apply via roll and tip or spray.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What's the reason for putting a clear coat on your hull?

Bert

Seaman

It's a 1980 Hydra Sport with a white hull,blue panel and silver metal flake stripe. The gel coat is completely gone from the metal flake stripe. The rest of the hull cleaned up nicely, but the blue will fade if I dont protect it. I think a clear coat will stop the fading and really highlight the metal flake.

Bert

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The clear over the metal flake may make it look better if it's not too bad, but you'll need to add enough layers to level the surface and then sand it smooth. The flake itself can lose it's color and gloss and thats not easy to fix, plus it can be blotchy and uneven looking when you're done. On the blue, sand it well and the clear will help some, but normally if you sand and buff it, it should last a long time without fading or losing it's gloss. Don't use the clear over the white, most clears tend to yellow and while you won't notice it much over metal flake and dark colors, it's easier to see over light colors and white.

Bert

Seaman

Ondarvr, What can I use to seal the metal flake with. I agree that I can get the blue and white looking good, but isn't the metal flake going to need to be sealed. Can I sand off the metal flake, if I do won't I need to paint it to make it look good.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can try some clear on the metal flake, you can even use a rattle can on a small area to see if you get the results you want. The other option is to sand it down and repaint that area with whatever color of paint you like.