225hp Johnson Timing Question

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1991 225 TLEIC. My question is can I check my wo timing without running it. The book says to run it at 4500 to 5000 and check it there. I would like to get it in the ballpark before I take it to the water. Can I take my throttle cable off and advance it that way while turning it over and checking it like that. The timing is wide open so I do not see why it wouldn't be close. Anyone out there know for sure? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 225hp Johnson Timing Question

Thank you for that link that is what I needed to know. Now to disable fast start what should I unhook?

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice

I am thinking I need to disconnect the white/black wire that goes to my temp switch is this right?

SparkieBoat

Captain

be careful disconnecting that you can short out your power pack quickly if you do something wrong..I just run it down the river and check it while running.

daselbee

Commander

Me and sparkieboat think alike. I too set it on the water...but, to answer your question....you must disconnect the white/black pack wire and ground the pack side, and then disconnect the yellow/red pack wire, letting it float.
That disables quickstart and allows you to use the Joe Reeves timing method.

I would absolutely set it on the water after you get that static setting done.