fuel gauge not working

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel gauge not working

hi....welcome to i boats :)

yes there is....put fuel in the tank !
not the cheepest fix....but it works ! :D

check and see if the wires are connected to the fuel tank...
there should be a wire from the top of the sender....(the round thingy with the wires on your fuel tank) and a wire coming off the round base going to a ground.

if all is ok there....you will either need another sender....about 20 bucks and 1 hr.....or a new gauge.......but im betting on the sender

cheers
oops

Bondo

Staff member

there should be a wire from the top of the sender....(the round thingy with the wires on your fuel tank)

Ayuh,... Ground out That wire,... The gauge should Peg to Full...

scorpionfs

Seaman

thanks for the welcomes and the info ,and the link jevery was a great help thx again :D

superbenk

Commander

I cleaned the varnish off the coil in my gauge and it worked again like a charm :) Not sure how cheap you are, though. If you're less cheap, I'd recommend replacing it.

scorpionfs

Seaman

thx superbenk ill try that,well im cheap as sum and not as cheap as others :) lol ill try my best to fix what ever can with the help of the people on here,and without makng it any worse before i have to take to a pro.lol

superbenk

Commander

thx superbenk ill try that,well im cheap as sum and not as cheap as others :) lol ill try my best to fix what ever can with the help of the people on here,and without makng it any worse before i have to take to a pro.lol

Be really careful, though. The coil wire is *really* thin and you might be doing a bunch of work just to find out the sender is really broken, so I make no guarantees. Like I said, if you're ok with spending $30 for a new sender, I'd just do that.

Wheelhouse

Cadet

The fuel guage works by measuring impedence. So try this. Take the wire loose at the sending unit at the tank, this wire is usually pink. Turn on the ignition key and touch the pink wire to ground. If the guage says full then the problem is probably the in tank unit. You didn't say what the gauge is doing if anything. If the gauge says full when you turn on the key and you know the tank is not full, check for a ground somewhere in the pink wire.
I hope this helps you out.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

my sender was bad and I replaced it today with a stainless steel one from WEMA. good luck

scorpionfs

Seaman

thanks the fuel gauge is not showing nothing when i know the tank is full

scorpionfs

Seaman

next ? is how hard is it going to be to get to the tank,i was hoping i was gonna go out lift up my battery compartment lid and see it, but cant see it anywhere lol all closed in.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

were is your gas fill port?, how much gas goes it hold. If we know these 2 things. we can find your tank location. and with a little luck you can know where to cut an access hole. they make flush fit plate to neatly cover hole and then you wil always have access to sender. so picture would help also

scorpionfs

Seaman

i just got back from looking at it there wasnt any wires even hooked up to it i shoulda looked at it first even before asking ? :redface:lol,must not be any power going to it cause the volt gauge also is not working and the fuel gauge is supposed to be wired off of it all the connections are there just not connected.the connection on the volt gauge seeems to be the same as on the fuel except for the sender side of the fuel gauge.the man told me it holds 23 gallons,i went ahead and added pics just incase.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0

stylesabu

ok so now you got a project ahead of you. i just re-wired my boat, but it aluminum and I had access to the harness, I torn out old and re-did it, but you have to fine the harness, or a place to run new harness, you'll need a good test light and volt ohm meter.

stylesabu

your sender is probably pretty close to hatch cover in second picture. lets not worry about this just yet,the voltmeter will help you fine sender wire in harness as it will be the one with an ohm reading between 200 and 60 ohms. silvertip has exact sender reading posted somewhere electronics. does boat run, but just no gauges? also how many electrical things inop? list all gauges, pumps, lights, fishfinders, cause if some stuff works and only a few don't we can tackle, one at a time.

scorpionfs

Seaman

the engine does run,i was trying to say before all the wires are at the gauge they just wasnt connected .i tried taking more pics but its dark now not sure if u can tell what is what,the gauge on the right is the fuel gauge i just have the wires laying on the stud without the nut on, they are coming from the volt gauge.the top blue wire goes on up to the speedometer,im thinking the pink wire goes to the sending unit,this boat has a control panel up front and one at the steering does the one at steering overide the one in front or do they both have to be on.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. In the 1st picture,...
It appears the purple is the igntion power wire,...
The black is the ground,...
The Pink is the sender wire...
And,..
It appears the blue is lighting...