Any Lawyers Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking at houses because I'm ready to move. Well, I found a house that I'm very interested in and I'm going to be looking at it tomorrow morning. I also have a builder that is interested in buying my home so I am prepared to make an offer on the house I'm looking at tomorrow. Today I find out that I can't sell my home because there is a judgment against my deed. This judgment dates back to October, '95 and I purchased my home in January of '95. Well, I took 1/2 day off work today to go to the court house and see what this judgment is all about. I come to find out that some guy sued another person with the same first and last name as me but the middle initial on the court document is not the same as mine. It also listed an address for the guy he sued and it's not an address or city I have ever lived at. It also listed the plaintiffs lawyers name on the document so armed with that info I came home and searched the internet to see if I could get a phone # for this lawyer. I found an office # for this lawyer at whitepages.com so I called the number. There was no answer. I'm hoping I can get ahold of this lawyer Monday morning and hopefully he can get this cleared up asap as it is going to blow the sale of my current house if it's not. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do. I also called the real estate lawyer I used for the closing of my house but for him to take care of it will cost me several hundred dollars. Since this is a major foul up on another parties behalf I don't feel I should have to pay to get this resolved. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what I should do. BTW, the judgment is for $467,500 which is quite a bit more than my house is even worth so were not talking chump change.

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Any Lawyers Out There?

I've been looking at houses because I'm ready to move. Well, I found a house that I'm very interested in and I'm going to be looking at it tomorrow morning. I also have a builder that is interested in buying my home so I am prepared to make an offer on the house I'm looking at tomorrow. Today I find out that I can't sell my home because there is a judgment against my deed. This judgment dates back to October, '95 and I purchased my home in January of '95. Well, I took 1/2 day off work today to go to the court house and see what this judgment is all about. I come to find out that some guy sued another person with the same first and last name as me but the middle initial on the court document is not the same as mine. It also listed an address for the guy he sued and it's not an address or city I have ever lived at. It also listed the plaintiffs lawyers name on the document so armed with that info I came home and searched the internet to see if I could get a phone # for this lawyer. I found an office # for this lawyer at whitepages.com so I called the number. There was no answer. I'm hoping I can get ahold of this lawyer Monday morning and hopefully he can get this cleared up asap as it is going to blow the sale of my current house if it's not. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do. I also called the real estate lawyer I used for the closing of my house but for him to take care of it will cost me several hundred dollars. Since this is a major foul up on another parties behalf I don't feel I should have to pay to get this resolved. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what I should do. BTW, the judgment is for $467,500 which is quite a bit more than my house is even worth so were not talking chump change.

Hey Mike. No need fer a Lawyer unless ya just wanna give 'em some of yer money, to solve the problem you are the in process of solving. The other party, (holder of the judgement) should quickly withdraw the lien, then no harm no foul. It may cost ya the deal yer pondering if it is timely, but that's life, a lawyer will just charge ya for what you are allready doin'. Good Luck. JR

PW2

Commander

Pay the money to a lawyer and get it resolved. The lawyer that has the lien on the house has no interest in getting it resolved in your favor- he wants to collect-and my guess is he doesn't care from whom.

He may be a really good guy, and do it for you out of the goodness of his heart- who knows? But I wouldn't count on it.

You can always sue him later in small claims court to recover your costs if you want...

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JR! Hopefully it won't blow the deal I've got going. It's taken a year to find a house I'm this interested in buying. Who knows though. After looking at it tomorrow I may have a different opinion of it.:eek: It is on the water and in my price range - property taxes and all - and they don't come up very often. Hopefully this isn't something that will take months to clear up.​

PW2

Commander

Thanks JR! Hopefully it won't blow the deal I've got going. It's taken a year to find a house I'm this interested in buying. Who knows though. After looking at it tomorrow I may have a different opinion of it.:eek: It is on the water and in my price range - property taxes and all - and they don't come up very often. Hopefully this isn't something that will take months to clear up.​

Take JR's advice, save your money, run the risk of taking months to resolve. If that' ok with you, that's fine by me.

I have no doubt at some point you can get it resolved without hiring a lawyer, but my absolute rule is "Never rely on a lawyer who is not working for you"

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take JR's advice, save your money, run the risk of taking months to resolve. If that' ok with you, that's fine by me.

I have no doubt at some point you can get it resolved without hiring a lawyer, but my absolute rule is "Never rely on a lawyer who is not working for you"

Well, if on Monday I don't get anywhere with the lawyer who filed the judgment I will be calling my lawyer. If it costs me a few hundred to get it resolved faster at this point it's worth it. I'm not one to sue others but if it does blow any deals I have in the works I most likely will. It wasn't my mistake so I don't feel I should have to pay to get it resolved. Right now I'm just so mad it's probably a good thing that lawyer didn't answer the phone.

Coors

Captain

Your Title Insurance should come in, here.

Speedo

Cadet

I'm not a lawyer but I am in real estate.

The lien against your property can be construed as a frivolous lawsuit.

The title attorney you use to close on your property should clear it up for you for a nominal fee.

If you purchased a Title Insurance Policy when you bought your house, you should be golden. The policy will take care of all of your expenses.

Bobany

Recruit
Hi, I found a good topic regarding my current situation. I bought a house this year and I had a similar situation and having understood the situation now that I am already the owner of the house, I am very glad that I turned to real estate lawyer for help in time. The help of a lawyer does not always cost a lot of money, it may just be a consultation with a competent and experienced lawyer who will review contracts, estoppels, inspection reports and ownership and other important documents and tell you what to do. I believe this is vital to a successful transaction.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi, I found a good topic regarding my current situation. I bought a house this year and I had a similar situation and having understood the situation now that I am already the owner of the house, I am very glad that I turned to real estate lawyer for help in time. The help of a lawyer does not always cost a lot of money, it may just be a consultation with a competent and experienced lawyer who will review contracts, estoppels, inspection reports and ownership and other important documents and tell you what to do. I believe this is vital to a successful transaction.

You sir, are guilty of hijacking a thread! It's 14 years old to boot. Just because Google leads you here, doesn't mean you must post. You sound like a spammer, don't prove it.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.