Windows 7

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
I just rebuilt my computer about a week ago, I was very nervous about changing my operating system as I have been a long time user and fan of XP. But I went with win 7 home, I have to say it has been running well and so far I really like it.

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone considering it, I'm not currently running microsoft office because my old office will not work in win 7. I am running an open source office and it so far is doing good as well.

Just a side note I really don't like vista, my daughter has is on her desktop. I think 7 is similar but different also.

Jeff

skargo

Banned
Re: Windows 7

I just bought a new laptop yesterday with 7 on it, seems pretty cool so far.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

I hear that skargo, I spent as much on rebuilding my desk top as I would have on a new laptop. I was considering a laptop, I have an old Dell latitude and it is very good. My partner bought her son and daughter both a new Dell inspiron for collage, they both like them. However we have latitudes at work we use on the ambulance and we haven't had very good luck with them, so I went with the desk top over the laptop.

I really wanted a new laptop for taking up less space, no desk and all of the required stuff that goes along with a desk top but I can work on the desk top and feel the reliability is there.

Jeff

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been using W7 since December, I absolutely love it.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I started with my company 3 years ago they just got new computers with vista on them. I'm the IT guy and what pile of crap to keep working in a business environment.

We've moved to win7 and things are all good now.

If you have XP and your computer is running fine, no need to switch till 2014 when XP loses support.

If your doing some major upgrades or getting a new machine then don't hesitate, go with 7.

imho

skargo

Banned

I hear that skargo, I spent as much on rebuilding my desk top as I would have on a new laptop. I was considering a laptop, I have an old Dell latitude and it is very good. My partner bought her son and daughter both a new Dell inspiron for collage, they both like them. However we have latitudes at work we use on the ambulance and we haven't had very good luck with them, so I went with the desk top over the laptop.

I really wanted a new laptop for taking up less space, no desk and all of the required stuff that goes along with a desk top but I can work on the desk top and feel the reliability is there.

Jeff

I hear that. In fact, I used to build all my desktops, but it'c cheaper to hotrod a barebones setup these days. I have the last desktop at home, in our office, plugging away on XP just fine.
I bought the laptop yesterday for work, and home, it travels daily with me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used to build my own PCs as well. Just doesn't make financial sense to do so anymore. Especially since I'm not a gamer. I haven't tried Win7 yet but am looking forward to using it on a new PC whever I buy one. I doubt another new desktop will ever come into our house.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

AGREED! My desktop is running XP, works fine. Just have to keep flushing out all of the crap. My new laptop is running 7 and works great. Just takes some getting used to after all of these years on XP. I have 7 for the desktop but why screw with something that works good. I've gotten used to switching back and forth. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I like to kid my mother-in-law because she's had both the failed Microsoft OSs. She had Windows Me and Vista.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I have read about Vista being a problem for a long time now and I have no doubt that Win7 is a superior product. I have been running Vista for close to two years and I haven't had any problems, but one. I haven't been able to find a Vista printer driver for my HP printer. But that's really an HP issue rather than a Vista issue.

So, would someone please tell me what's wrong with my Vista.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Currently, probably nothing. There were numerous bugs when it was launched but they were mostly fixed with service patches. I think it's a pretty decent OS now. However, these initial problems, added to the fact that it was so quickly followed up with Windows 7 kinda makes it look like a debacle. (my unsubstantiated opinion)

skargo

Banned

I've had zero issues with Vista, in fact, I run one laptop with Vista, one with 7, and a desktop with XP!

I've had ME in the past too. :redface:

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like to kid my mother-in-law because she's had both the failed Microsoft OSs. She had Windows Me and Vista.

Windows Me....leaves a bad taste in my mouth just saying it, but I remember those days. I run Snow Leopard parallel to XP Pro and can't seem to get up the guts to switch over to 7. My sister has 7 and has had quite a few issues so far, but it could be operator error.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I don't know anyone who has W7 who doesn't like it. I'm going to try it on this dell latitude d600 laptop when I get my RAM upgrade and hard drive upgrade in. I have a feeling it will work great, but I won't get rid of my tiny hard drive with XP on it because it works. LOL

Your office program didn't work because you didn't get the ultimate, which has backwards XP compatibility.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

waterinthefuel, I have a D800 where did you get the ram and hard drive? I really like my latitude but it came with a small drive, and I would like to get at least 2 gigs of ram.

Jeff

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't mind Vista after working out the kinks, but after running 7 for awhile Vista feel like a molasses operating system.

I agree you can't build desktops for what you once could. Aside from the one laptop we have this desktop is the first off the shelf computer I bought in over a decade.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Same here, Vista is horrible, this weekend this computer is going to reloaded back to XP because of all the Vista problems

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's slower, various errors occur for no reason, etc etc etc.

I support 200 laptops all IBM's t61's, x200's, all with solid state drives and 2 gb of ram in them.

With vista they were horrible, in a business environment where they are connected to a domain they were probably the slowest ever.

As soon as 7 was available for it dev. we upgraded people as fast as possible and it's been sweet sailing ever since.

(Thank god they figured out a way to have MOST printers auto install even when the users administrators!!)