What Is Mariner? is it obsolete?

Martman

Seaman
I am boat hunting, found nice boat with a 75 Mariner. Is mariner the same as merc or not? If not is mariner obsolete, are parts still being made and supporting the mariner outboards. Is Jonhson any better than merc?
Any advise would be great.

Attachments

• 1984 Swiftsure Boat 011.jpg
    1984 Swiftsure Boat 011.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1984 Swiftsure Boat 009.jpg
    1984 Swiftsure Boat 009.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Is Mariner? is it obsolete?

That particular Mariner is definitely a Merc. As far as is Johnson better than Merc? Thats kinda Ford vs. Chevy. However there are parts support issues with some of the older Mercs (although not ones as recent as that one as far as I know).

saumon

Lieutenant

I am boat hunting, found nice boat with a 75 Mariner. Is mariner the same as merc or not? If not is mariner obsolete, are parts still being made and supporting the mariner outboards. Is Jonhson any better than merc?

If you can, post the serial # of the engine. From what i can see, i'll bet on a mid 90's triple, wich are exactly the same than Mercs. If it is, all parts are still available.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its a least a 1991 as they didnt make a 75hp 3 cylinder till 91, the 91-93 engine is a 71.1 c.i and the 94 and up are a 84.6 c.i.As posted still plenty of parts around....

Martman

Seaman

The engine is listed as an 1988 75 hp mariner oil injected. It is a 3 cylinder. I have not looked at the serial number as of yet.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If Mariner enjoys the same longevity as Merc and OMC. You can still get parts for engines built as far back as 1949 at a reasonable price. No reason it would be any different than Merc. Buy it if it is right for you and enjoy. I'd do it in an heartbeat if that was what seemed the right thing to do at the time.

Mark

Jeep Man

Commander

Mariner is the name Mercury used in Europe. The parts, for the most part, are the same. Mariners are also sold in North America but not as common as Merc.I cannot confirm if it's true but I have heard that earlier Mariners were rated differently, at the prop as opposed to the head, as this was the European method, resulting in 60 hp being closer to a 65hp in the way they are rated here. Go by the serial number when sourcing parts.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mariner is the name Mercury used in Europe. The parts, for the most part, are the same. Mariners are also sold in North America but not as common as Merc.I cannot confirm if it's true but I have heard that earlier Mariners were rated differently, at the prop as opposed to the head, as this was the European method, resulting in 60 hp being closer to a 65hp in the way they are rated here. Go by the serial number when sourcing parts.

I wouldn't take that to the bank. There are regulations imposed on the US marine engine industry which, back in the mid '80's dictated that all engines would be prop rated, not "brake hp" rated (powerhead) as was the custom in the past.

Someone will read this and give you the exact numbers.

Besides, having Merc and Mariner dealers in this area for years, I doubt that Brunswick would allow any difference. As soon as word got out (if it was brake hp rated) Mariner would be out of business.....ex-potential-customers would have Phantom Black on their transoms.

The rumor around Dallas at the time was that Mariner was made in Japan. Well, whether it was or not, that was not a problem for the motoring public around here.

Mark

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1979 mariner, love it to death, mariners are only merc's with a different color.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If you want a motor that you'll be able to get parts for, for many years and less confusion, then stick with Mercury or OMC only. Just about every other brand motor out there has a variation of manufacturers and there are times you'll run into stumbling blocks locating parts.

As stated in this thread, it looks as though Mariners are made by different companies, such as Mercury and Yamaha

As far as Mercury being a part of Brunswick corporation since 1939, that's rubbish. Carl Kiekhaefer purchased the failing Thor Plant in 1939 and revived a failing company and brought it to something spectacular. By 1957, Carl Kiekhaefer had the hottest engine on the water that awed the boating public.
By 1957, they had a 60hp inline six and OMC couldn't build anything to compare till 1960.

It was when Mercury became part of Brunswick and they took the Kiekhaefer insignia off of the motors, is when quality went to pot.

Meanwhile though, OMC was building a line of reliable outboard motors that were not that hot in performance, but were simple to work on and easy to get parts for. If you want a good motor, stick with Merc or OMC. Anything else will give you a head ache finding parts for and service technicians to work on it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Naw Zephyr old buddy, current Mercs aren't junk. I can assure you my '02 90 hp is the finest Merc I ever owned and I have been running them since 1970 (Blue and creme colored Mark 30 remote controls with electric start).

Mark

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That's why I say. Stay with Merc or OMC only.:D:D