Different lakes rules for boating

I am headed to Lake Lure in NC this summer. I was reading that they require a $250 boat permit for peak season for a week. Also, they require proof of liability insurance of $300,000.

Is this a normal thing for lakes? I've never heard of this before.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Different lakes rules for boating

I've boated in many lakes in NC, and this is definitely NOT normal. From the boat permit site it just looks as if this is a way to keep non residents off the water (residents pay $155.00 per YEAR).

Most of the lake I use are army corp of engineers, and are no charge or a nominal boat launch fee.

The fee wouldnt be that big of a deal, but the insurance is kind of a pain. I guess I wont be bringing my boat there, and such a shame as it is a beautiful lake. I will stick to the lakes around where I live in NC.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

I am headed to Lake Lure in NC this summer. I was reading that they require a $250 boat permit for peak season for a week. Also, they require proof of liability insurance of $300,000.

If I were taking a wild stab in the dark...I would bet that the lake has a private homeowners assoc...or some private management assoc. linked to it. At least around me that is typically where these sort of rules come from.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only know of one lake in GA that has something similiar. All the GA power and Army Corp Lakes are pretty much free except for a nominal launch fee at some ramps. The majority of the lakes in western NC are Army Corp lakes.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

That will certainly keep out the riff-raff.....crazy.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Does this have anything to do with an overnight park pass? I know here on the Shuswap they hit us up for $15 dollars a night if we stay at one of the beaches within the park, this is supposed to take care of the fire wood, camping areas, outhouse maintance and clean up of garbage.

No, it isnt a campground. It has private residences around the lake which some of them can be rented as vacation homes by owner. At the northern end of the lake is a resort, but it has its own private beach. This is an expensive vacation rental area. A home on the water costs $3000+ a week. So it must be leer94 said about private homeowners association or just trying to keep the riff raff/number of boats down.

I am renting a house 3 minutes from the lake in a private community with its own lake. I will not be bringing a boat.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

Close, but not quite. It's worse:

http://www.rutherfordtourism.com/links/redirect/?http://www.lakelure.com

In Virginia, there are fees for launching, but I just bought a pass that allows me to launch & park in all of VA's state parks for one year for $128.

cribber

Lieutenant

Wow that is expensive to go play on their water. Guess the town annexed the entire lake and controls how many and what types of boat can operate on that lake. I'll stick to my free water access here in Lake County.