painting my boat

cntryby493

Cadet
I have a 1986 bayliner capri that my dad left behind for me and my brother when he past away.He purchased the boat when we were younger an ive had they greatest times of my life in that boat an wouldnt trade it for a new just because it was his an its priceless.For the past year me an my brother both have did a major over haul on this boat.We replaced the floors in it fiberclassed the inside of it a good bit trying to make repairs on it an reupolstered all the seats an interior.We put new carpet inside it too.Now the my last project on this boat is the hull.She has some scratches on it and needs some work on the gel coat.I put some marine grade 5200 sealant to try an get by, but i want to fix the gel coat on it or paint it but im not sure what kind of paint i should use.I have seen some anti fouling paints but im not sure what they mean by this. I want to get the right kind so hopefully this will be a one time deal an dont have to worry about it peeling off.If someone can help me with this matter me an my brother gladly appreciate it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: painting my boat

the first step is the prep work, that's the hardest part. everything has to be sanded, used the search function top left of this page and search painting hull. there are several different was to do it. 2 part epoxy, auto paint, spray, roll and tip. you and your bro need to do some deep research before doing this. seeing you want it right the first time.

studlymandingo

Commander

The anti-fouling paint is bottom paint for boats kept in the water.​

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a boat repaired once and the repair facility made a thin solution of gel coat and sprayed over the repair when finished, matching the rest of the boat almost flawlessly. It was new so there was no problem matching colors.

The boat mfgr usually sells after marked gell coat for just such problems.

Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's depend on you there is expensive, and the there is EXPENSIVE. it's a 'B'reak 'O'ut 'A'nother 'T'housand.