johnson rebuild

EASTPOINTRULES

Recruit
My mechanic wants to bore my head .10 over, install 2 new pistons and reuse everything else. This is a 175 hp fast strike. I have never heard of only boring/replacing 2 cylinders/pistons. Has anyone heard of this, they say its no big deal and will save 2k in rebuild costs

Thanks in advance for any help

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: johnson rebuild

I'm not one of the experts so wait on one of them, but I don't think there is a major problem with mixing new pistons with old. However I'd like to know how it is going to save you 2k in cost. You could replace all the pistons, rods, bearings and seals and not spend close to 2K in parts.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Myself, I have heard of people doing this, but I like all my internal organs to match. I wouldn't do this with my car, so why would I do it to my outboard? I'd say bore them all out and buy all new pistons, that way everything is the same and everything will wear the same. Twenty years down the road, if you still have the same motor, you'll be able to rebuild the motor, without any more BJ's:D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, a few things come to mind. We'll assume you mean he wants to bore the cylinders, not the head (heads are cut or surfaced, not bored). We'll also assume he wants to bore it .010 not .10 over.

1- Where is he getting a piston that's .010 over?
2- What do the other cylinders measure now?
3- Most important - what caused the damage to the 2 pistons that need replacing?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I sell the aftermarket piston in a .010-.040 for that engine..same maker as Red rhino pistons

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

BK has to be to coolest and funniest one here. Gotta love the guy. Him and I could add plenty of humor to this forum.:D:D:D:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

BK has to be to coolest and funniest one here. Gotta love the guy. Him and I could add plenty of humor to this forum.:D:D:D:D

Thanks Zeph, a little humour does people good. Besides , I wouldn't trade work on any motor for the other, I didn't marry my boat.