a new to me 1968 Glastron swinger V156

loquito

Seaman Apprentice
Well I have been lurking on this forum for a little while reading up on all the info available here. I was given this old boat by my wifes father. It is in pretty good shape for being 38yrs old .
After reading threads here I was able to look at the boat more skeptically and I believe she will need some work.
I really think that the floor will need to be replaced if we want to keep the boat( Being a present from her dad, it is staying ) and I believe that possible the transom will need to be replaced.
I think I may be able to do the floor, but I am not sure about the transom. How do you get transom in and out, do you need to take the top halve off of the hull? If so besides the screw tips I can see from the inside how are the two halve's held together, did they glue them?
I wasn't able to find the info within the threads I have read so I borrowed some books from the library, but they were not as helpful as this site so I came back here.
Well thanks for a place to study up on boats, this site is pretty cool.
Steven
a link to a pic of a boat like ours
http://www.classicglastron.com/68gl-v156sporster.html

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: a new to me 1968 Glastron swinger V156

under the rubber of the rub rail, there should be screws, or rivets, holding the 2 halves together.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

under the rubber of the rub rail, there should be screws, or rivets, holding the 2 halves together.
I can see the screws that you are talking about from the inside of the boat. So they are not glued, how are the two halves waterproofed? Do they use a caulking or a rubber strip?
What work is needed to seperate the halve's becides removing all the screws and of cource misalanious interior attachment points.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Those old Glastrons were screwed together with a strip of wood inside the hull to hold the screws. If I remember, under the rubber of the rub rail were screws and when you take them out the aluminum rub rail comes off. there you will find more screws under it. Floors on old Glastrons were reputed to go bad. I have a 71, V153 and the floor was a little flexible so I coated it with several layers of glass. Got another 5 years out of it. It's retired now so I never did replace the floor.

Before you start tearing out the transom, Try Git-Rot or generic equivalent. They probably sell it right here on iboats. I used the generic from West Marine on a V163 with excellent results. Transom is better than new and I saved gobs of time. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

Those old Glastrons were screwed together with a strip of wood inside the hull to hold the screws. If I remember, under the rubber of the rub rail were screws and when you take them out the aluminum rub rail comes off. there you will find more screws under it. Floors on old Glastrons were reputed to go bad. I have a 71, V153 and the floor was a little flexible so I coated it with several layers of glass. Got another 5 years out of it. It's retired now so I never did replace the floor.

Before you start tearing out the transom, Try Git-Rot or generic equivalent. They probably sell it right here on iboats. I used the generic from West Marine on a V163 with excellent results. Transom is better than new and I saved gobs of time. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.
HI we posted at the same time, so forgive me asking the same question you have answered.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

usually there is just a small bead of sealant along the bottom edge of the rub rail..once you get the rail off and the screws out it should lift right off.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Frank
It's cool to get info from someone who has worked on such a simular boat. I am concerned about trying to fix the transom so I will deffinently look into the product you suggested.
Is it a simular product as the one offered by Marine Tek? I hear that company mentioned here often.
So there is nothing between the two fiberglass halve's to act as a gasket?
I need to read up more on replacing floors.
Steven

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

usually there is just a small bead of sealant along the bottom edge of the rub rail..once you get the rail off and the screws out it should lift right off.
we posted at the same time again so disregard the gasket question :)

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

sweet!

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

You guys really rock!
Thanks for all the help so far.
Steven

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hey,we enjoy trying to help.Yes we love talking boats!!:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i remember those boats, and haven't seen one in years, a real nostalgic find. to me a new boat does not compare to a restored boat. it's yours, and you did the work to save it. nothing more fun than to have a restored boat, and a properly tuned engine. you hit the key and it starts immediately, while the guys with those big payments, burn up starters trying to get started. i am just finishing a 1956 Duracraft, with 58 35 Johnson.

Willyclay

Captain

I had a 1970 Glastron V-153 and was NOT able to separate the deck from the hull because the deck was bonded to the transom with fiberglass. Unfortunately, I did realize this until I had removed all the screws behind the rub rail. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

My Glastron is much newer ('76) but some info from my project may help.

I don't think that they cared much about waterproofing the seam between the top deck and the hull...water that got in there will just run down to your floor (same as if you took a wave over the side). My boat had a 1" strip of very thin foam (kinda like the stuff you would wrap dishes with when you are moving) all along the seam. I think I am going to get some 4200 and run a bead just to be sure.

I was able to separate my top deck..but with MUCH grinding around the transom area. They had glassed the splash well to the transom. I really dont' want to do that again.

Good luck. And post pictures!!!

-JMW

JasonB

Lieutenant

See if these pics will help. These were taken when I completely gutted my '76 T-166 which, except for size, is likely identical in design.

http://www.kimandjason.net/webpics/restore/Index.html

I just popped the deck again to repaint a couple weeks ago (easier to pop the deck to get the front cleats off).

These are pretty straightforward hulls. The mistake I made was in the splashwell. Impatience drove me to cut in a place that wasn't as easy to fix. The transom was bonded to the cap in the splashwell.

loquito

Seaman Apprentice

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just ask my questions here for right now.
Well to start I was in the Navy on a ship, but this is my first time near a small boat and I know very little (Nothing)about small boats!
So let me thank the posters on this site, I read up on maintance and have learned how to pull the lower unit on the outboard. Replaced the impeller and my Factory manual is coming.

We are going to go for a ride before we start working on the hull/floor or transom. They all need differant levels of TLC but no job besides maintance on the outboard is pressing right now.

My Wife would like to differ as she is afraid the boat will get the garage this winter.:D

So my questions
the trim around the stern/transom is held on with rivits, how do I get them out( I think drill them out?) and more importantly how do I put the trim back on and be water tight?

The same would apply to my Glastron emblem that is rivited on the side of the hull?

Is there a source for replacement decals both for the hull(HYDRO LIFT) as well as the Johnson outboard?

Most of the info I have gone looking for has seemed to be pretty straight forward and I think I can fix this boat up.

Thanks folks
Steven

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I got my outboard decals from this ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com/Nanas-Decals they are awesome and not too expensive. Looks like she has boat decals as well. If you don't see what you are looking for I bet she could make it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

FYI - if the transom is rotted or deteriorated to the point that it has lost much of its integrity, Git Rot won't do anything to help it. A rotted transom needs to be replaced. Period. Anything else is a band-aid solution which could leave you swimming for shore. Git Rot is fine for a small spot to keep it from spreading. Won't do anything for something that is rotted out...

Pulling the deck off isn't such a big deal. I did it on my 18-foot Starcraft and it made things much easier in the long run. Not as big a job as you would think... I made a 4-point harness and lifted it with a come-along...

- Scott

Attachments

• SC18_DeckGoingOn_0391.jpg
    SC18_DeckGoingOn_0391.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SC18_DeckGoingOn_0392.jpg
    SC18_DeckGoingOn_0392.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2