Alpha 1 Wont Crank \ Turn Over

zyclon3

Cadet
My 91 alpha 1 3.0L motor wont start.

Symptoms: When I turn the igniition, I get the normal 'whee' sound of the ignition but do not get typical sound after 'chug, chug, chug' of the engine trying to turn over (if that make sense). Dont think its electrical.. Any thoughts to start my troubleshooting process?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 Wont Crank \ Turn Over

I get the normal 'whee' sound of the ignition but do not get typical sound after 'chug, chug, chug'

I like the sound effects. ;)

Dont think its electrical..

Why do you not think it is electrical? Have you checked for spark? Do you know how?

What exactly are you working on? If it has points, try cleaning them to see if that helps. If so, replace them. That's just a simple guess - but is a common problem with points type ignition systems.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I turn the igniition, I get the normal 'whee' sound of the ignition but do not get typical sound after 'chug, chug, chug' of the engine trying to turn over (if that make sense).

Kind of sounds like the starter is spinning, just not engaging the flywheel and turning the engine. Could be from low voltage because of loose/corroded cables and cable ends, low battery, bad starter solenoid, or who knows what else.

zyclon3

Cadet

Kind of sounds like the starter is spinning, just not engaging the flywheel and turning the engine. Could be from low voltage because of loose/corroded cables and cable ends, low battery, bad starter solenoid, or who knows what else.

Yes - Thats what I was trying to get across... Starter seems to be working but Im not getting the engine turned. Battery checks, have newer battery cables, and will have to try troubleshooting the solenoid... Im reading the troubleshooting the starting system sticky. How do I know if its got points? I would assume that spark is not the issue at hand, because hear dont even hear the motor turning over. Any other ideas or possibilities of failure points preventing the engine from turning?

Bondo

Staff member

Any other ideas or possibilities of failure points preventing the engine from turning?

Nope,... Pull,+ Test the Starter....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If the starter is spinning, but the engine isn't, then the chances are good that the bendix in the starter is bad. Yo can have a local starter / alternator shop rebuild it, or simply buy a new one.

zyclon3

Cadet

Update: When I was looking at pulling the starter and trying to find the bolts for removal, I noticed that there was some significant 'play' in the starter mounts. Im talking about 1\2"... which I assume would be enough room to disengage from the flywheel? I also could only find 2 bolts?

1. Is there a good diagram that shows the bolts\mounts for the starter?
2. Should I just try and re-attach or should I pull the starter anyways to assess any damage?
3. Is there any methodology for how to attach? IE: Do you just crank down the bolts to max? Or is there shimming involved? Just curious how to get the right placement and alignment.

I use the #13 service manual if that helps with the model.. thanks.

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There should only be two bolts, and if they were loose the gear won't engage the flywheel. While your at it spray a little lube on the starter gear shaft.