1969 9.5 HP Evinrude

nephillim

Recruit
Hello there, I just have a few questions about this motor. First off, it will only fire once in a great while ...maybe once every 30 pulls or so and only for a split second. I have tried bypassing the carb, in case it was clogged, and poured a little gas into the cylinder. However, I still end up with one fire every so often. I have checked the points and they are both spotless, the condensers and coils appear to be in good shape but the metallic squares on the coils have a green color to them. I have tried grounding the plugs to see if they fire (they are new) and only the lower plug would fire occasionally. I put a volt meter to everything with the sound on (so when there was a current I would easily know) and the points and coils responded, however the plug wires would not give me anything. I have been told that the condensers have a tendency to go bad often so I am probably going to replace them tomorrow. Is there any advice anyone could give me on what this problem could be? I am leaning heavily towards electrical because when using starting fluid or gas the regular way I can small it on the plugs. Also, when pulling I have noticed that both cylinders only have 30psi compression. Is this normal for pull starting or could this be a sign of a leak or crack?

Thank You.

Last edited:

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1969 9.5 HP Evinrude

I would disconnect the wire to your kill switch as they can go bad and ground your spark. 30 psi is too low for your motor to work well. It could be your gauge is bad so I would try an other gauge before scraping the motor. If your rings a stuck you can free them up by doing a decarb but you will need to get it running well prior to a decarb. Best of luck. Rick.

finitetime

Recruit
Re: 1969 9.5 HP Evinrude

The plug wires should give you something with and ohm meter. They will have a little resistance but nothing noticeable. Change the wires. The coil should have a specific amount of resistance. Too little or too much could be bad. A coil can also be going bad but still spark. It will just be to weak to get a good ignition.