Gun Shot Wound !!!

misdeal

Seaman
1989 johnson outboard 120 hp,,,about to get shot ,,,,put in the water a month ago and ran like a dream but wasnt charging, replaced rectifier but had no gasket under it so i had to take it back apart put gasket under it and wha la no spark at all,,,,,,so checked wiring and fuses , voltage readings,,,everything i could think of and nothing so i spent 140.00 on a service call to find out the ground wire was broke, service guy calls me tells me im all set, fires right up, charging good, so i go to the boat and he was right it fired right up what he didnt tell me is that it wont idle,,and at high idle it was missing and sputtering and smoking and when i ran idle down it sputtered 2 or 3 times and conked out,,,,,so i thought maybe an ethnol problem, put st-bil in the tank and ran motor for 30 minutes to an hour,,at high idle runs great, no missing no sputtering little to no smoke, soon as i back it down to idle it sputters 2 or 3 times an shuts off, turn key it fires up runs 3 seconds sputters 2 or 3 times and shuts off kep turning key it keeps firing and shutting down,,,, tomorrow its going to suffer a fatal gun shot,,,any ideas, could it be as simple as a cloged fuel filter ?:mad:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Gun Shot Wound !!!

I know absolutely nothing about your particular motor but...... it sounds like it might be running rich. Is there an idle adjustment that you can lean it out a little with? No reason to give up on it!:)
Good luck,
JBJ

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I would support your plan to shoot it, although watch out for a ricochet. While you're at it, how about finishing off a couple of my outboards?

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pull a plug it will tell if you are too lean or rich. Can you get it go run wide open throtle. It may need a carb. rebuild. just remember what b.o.a.t. stands for break out another thousand. LOL Look I know how you feel i dumped money into a boat and turned out to be junk. got another and it needs two new pistons. if you dont have repair manual get one they help.

jonesg

Admiral

2 in the carbs should finish it off.

Carbs need rebuilding, draw some fuel into a glass and let it settle, any water? if yes shoot the glass too.

misdeal

Seaman

thanks for the input, been trying to find a manual for it but havent been able to find one ,,,as for idle adjust ment there is a dial underneath the ignition key been turning it left and right as i thought it was a fuel adjustment but dosnt seem to realy do anything so not sure what it is,,a manual would be hudge right now would save me amo anyway,,the boat has been great its an 1989 bonito 20" bow rider mint condition 3 years ago when i bougt it, came with bimini top, full snap down cover and cockpit cover , kept on a lift and maintained by a mech. 2x a year i paid 1,500 no trailer ,cant figure out why it ran so good one day then terrable the next,,,,but i guess if i knew that i would fix boats not air conditioners,,,,,,thanks for the help

misdeal

Seaman

yes i can get it to run wide open,,,was missing and smoking at first, put sta-bil in the tank and ran motor for almost an hour, it stopped missing and smoking, it ran great at one point it was at 3,000 rpm missed and knocked and all the sudden rpm went up and up and up to just over 4,000 by its self,,backed it down to 2,000 and it ran fine, thought that was it,,,till i ran it down to idle and it sputtered and knocked and died

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would do a compression check. Mine has two cyl. at 100 and one at 70 another at 40. it wont idle very well. It will run wot at 30 mph good. What is the oil to fuel ratio u r using. should be 50:1, also check for your fuel tank air vent. if not venting it could not suck the fuel and cause it to die(idel or at wot). You also might check the timing.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i can get it to run wide open,,,was missing and smoking at first, put sta-bil in the tank and ran motor for almost an hour, it stopped missing and smoking, it ran great at one point it was at 3,000 rpm missed and knocked and all the sudden rpm went up and up and up to just over 4,000 by its self,,backed it down to 2,000 and it ran fine, thought that was it,,,till i ran it down to idle and it sputtered and knocked and died

Your not running on all four cylionders. As cylinders kicked in the rpm went up. Your carbs are probably full of crap by now and it never will run right until cleaned. Running it at wide open will just melt down a piston or three and then you can save yourself some ammo. Its to hard to find anyway.

misdeal

Seaman

Thanks for the info, is that what causes the hard knock/missing/puff of smoke,,then runs fine then misses,knocks and smokes,, again at 1900 rpm and higher runs great, 1,000 or less bad things are a happening:eek:

jash1178

Seaman

I do not know about your motor but my 89 48hp rude was doing the exact same thing and all that was wrong was the carb idle adjustment scew needed adjusting.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are due a complete carb cleaning, and rebuild kits, you have 3 jets in those carbs, low, intermediate, high. they are all fixed jets, so no adjustment. they must be clean. then do a link n sinc. this should have you running right. Stabil did nothing for you. use seafoam after the cleaning, it will keep the clean carb clean. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont feel bad about spending 140 to find out the kill wire was bad... i just spent $190 to figure that out.