Uhh, OUCH!

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat bit me... I was scrubbing the interior hull today hoping to get to the gluvit appication this week since I'm off and then it happend. while I was scrubing I sliced the tip of my thumb DEEP... accross the entire tip from corner of nail to corner of nail. I refused to go to the ER for stitches so I taped it up with gauze and med tape for now. I did it around noon and here at 7:30 it is still bleeding a bit (not as bad as it first did) I can't remember the last time I had a tetnus shot so it looks like I'm off to my doc tomorrow for one. Man does this thing throb!!!

So...Here's where I'm going with this. What types of injuries do you have or got while restoring or fixing your boat. Let's hear em'!

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Uhh, OUCH!

I just took the top of my knuckle off while doing some woodwork on my 13' Whaler. I was sanding one of the pieces and got too close. A belt sander removes meat pretty fast!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

While sliding my hand across sanded glass, I ran into an area not yet sanded and got a big spike of glass stuck into my finger, it broke off and was sticking out. When I tried to remove it, the darn thing would not come out and when I pulled hard my skin was pulling. I finally grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out, and I screamed it hurt so bad. Turns out the darn thing had a barb shape to it. Went in but didn't want to come out without tearing up some more skin. That bleed for a while.

Oh, and slipped with the razor knife. Made a nice clean deep slash in left fore finger. Yep, the deep ones bleed. What stinks is it was right across the inside of the joint nearest the knuckle.

redfury

Commander

So far I haven't lost any days of production due to injuries, but I've taken a couple of annoying fiberglass splinters to the palm while working in there...obviously I'm not doing a good enough job of sanding my work!

Keeping the fingers crossed! :D

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

When doing mine, I actually have permanent chemical burns on my right forearm, and broke out in a rash on my arms from an allergic reaction to fiberglass. Go figure.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know if there's enough bandwidth for all of mine{clumsy non-attention paying fool here}, along with the standard glass and wood slivers, I've managed to cut my finger with the scissors{cutting f/glass},I splashed epoxy on my face reaching up from below to activate the pump{no goggles on, no real damage either...I'll remember that tip now for sure}, was attempting to grind some set-up PL off my work bench and caught my t-shirt in the grinder- if I was'nt so big I think it would of twirled me around and body slammed me instead of just shredding my shirt and leaving some nice road rash type of reminder to wake up. So many more but my face is turning hot from the redness and I can't see so straight right now, so I'll leave it at that...lol

Last edited:

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WhenI was building my first Driftboat I had a major screwup, had to grind out a bunch of floor. Was sweeping up and the big old 7' grinder was in my way, pushed it with my foot to move it and hit the trigger,it jumped and hit my other foot, grinding disk first. Lost a pair of shoes and gained 7 stitches on the side of the ball of my left foot!!!

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cuts to both hands with days of each other, right across the palms, from resting my hands on the edge of the hull when the cap was off-seemed like it took forever to heal :mad: Every time I rinsed my hands with acetone, I was reminded that they were still there :eek: Several splinters from fiberglass "whiskers" one went in kinda under my fingernail and was difficult to remove,another one I thought was removed was still there and festered up and was real sore ,I squeezed it and it "popped" right out-kinda weird...luckily nothing more seroius happened...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Been there, done that...know how you can tell the experienced wise-a** med techs? They sew up your hand/finger/etc. with that arm fully extended...so when they pop off and say something like "Well, I'd be home watching the game if it weren't for the dumba**es that need stitches." Actually happened to me one Memorial Day years ago after I put most of the tip of my pocket knife into the ball/base of a thumb. I tried, but the swing missed him by about 2 inches. Hope all start mending soon.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Fish your still bleeding from improper bandaging . The proper bandage for any cut made while out working in the shop or near it is black electrical tpe and ppertowels or toilet paper whichever is handy in the shop at the time :D. Hope it heals up quick so you can get back to it . I have more scars on my fingers and hands than I can count to many years of working with sheetmetal doing ductwork :D.

Rick

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well not useful now but hold the wound closed then use crazy glue. Im not kidding look it up liquid stiches.

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nothing yet working on my boat.. but i did manage to drill a deep hole into my cuticle and under my fingernail while drywalling my basement. I was using a normal phillips head bit with no screw guide and had it slip off the screw and go right into my index finger on my left hand. The drill was still spinning so it extracted quite a bit of flesh. Probably one of my most painful hand injurys to date.

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hear you Rick. I was going to let it bleed a bit so it can "flush" it's self out and do the paper towel and electrical tape thing but my wife got to it first.:rolleyes: So it's peroxide, gauze, tape, and ointment twice a day and oh yea, I'm off to the doc's office today for a tetnus shot...youch!:eek:
Sometimes your wife's medical training comes in handy, othertimes it's a little O.T.T.

Rickairmedic

Commander

ROFLMAO I hear ya . I have managed to traain my SWMBO pretty well she will come out and give me the let me see that and I ned to bndage that and put something on it . I usually come back with riiiiiiiiiiight which gets me fine I hope it falls off and she goes back in the house :D.

Rick

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Well funny you should ask. :redface: I just so happened to have done one of these things to my self right after I got my 76 mrnr 21' Starcraft. I had gotten the floor out and was in the boat rinsing it down, just using the hose, water only. As I finished and was getting out of the boat(high sided) my right foot slipped on the slope of the bottom of the hull and my inside right ankle struck one of the aluminum stringers. Needless to say it cut me really deep and wide as my foot was moving in a downward motion. :( Like you I decided it didn't seem that bad just a good cut. Well I proceeded to play Doctor myself and just clean it really good and then place the butterfly stitches on it, and figured it would be fine in a few day's. Well as some of my fellow Starcraft enthusiast here know it didn't turn out that well. I ended up finally listening to the SWMBO(what ever that is) as Rick calls them and going to the real Doctor finding out it was worst than I had diagnosed. It was badly infected (probably from all the years of fishing with nasty water and what not, maybe bait fish, fish slime, and salt water getting in the boat infection. Also after the Xray they told me I cut a chunk of my ankle bone off, No wonder it hurt like hell and still is. I lost out on a few weeks of working on my boat from this as well. So I say to any and everyone here if you are working on a boat and you get a cut no matter how small and insignificant you think it is. It would best to go ahead bite the bullet and go see the real Doctor right off save your self the trouble of getting a nasty infection from what ever nasties get down into the deep crevices of a boat.
The Doctors informed me that if that infection had gotten into the bone I could have lost my foot.:eek: You can see pic of it if you want. If you have a weak stomach or are having a snack I don't suggest it. The pic of the foot is in my My Photos link in my sig.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well funny you should ask. :redface: I just so happened to have done one of these things to my self right after I got my 76 mrnr 21' Starcraft. I had gotten the floor out and was in the boat rinsing it down, just using the hose, water only. As I finished and was getting out of the boat(high sided) my right foot slipped on the slope of the bottom of the hull and my inside right ankle struck one of the aluminum stringers. Needless to say it cut me really deep and wide as my foot was moving in a downward motion. :( Like you I decided it didn't seem that bad just a good cut. Well I proceeded to play Doctor myself and just clean it really good and then place the butterfly stitches on it, and figured it would be fine in a few day's. Well as some of my fellow Starcraft enthusiast here know it didn't turn out that well. I ended up finally listening to the SWMBO(what ever that is) as Rick calls them and going to the real Doctor finding out it was worst than I had diagnosed. It was badly infected (probably from all the years of fishing with nasty water and what not, maybe bait fish, fish slime, and salt water getting in the boat infection. Also after the Xray they told me I cut a chunk of my ankle bone off, No wonder it hurt like hell and still is. I lost out on a few weeks of working on my boat from this as well. So I say to any and everyone here if you are working on a boat and you get a cut no matter how small and insignificant you think it is. It would best to go ahead bite the bullet and go see the real Doctor right off save your self the trouble of getting a nasty infection from what ever nasties get down into the deep crevices of a boat.
The Doctors informed me that if that infection had gotten into the bone I could have lost my foot.:eek: You can see pic of it if you want. If you have a weak stomach or are having a snack I don't suggest it. The pic of the foot is in my My Photos link in my sig.

Ouch! Yesterday I was griping over a little papercut on my thumb that I received from the edge of the fiberglass upper deck.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

crushed the nails on my left thumb, and right index finger re-installing (and, it would seem, wrong at that!) my outdrive.

a lovely shade of black they are.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Jim cutting off part of his ankle bone may be the worst injury I've ever seen from someone restoring a boat. Now that I think of it, that may be one of the worst injuries I've seen period. You win, Jim ... or you lose, depending on how you look at it. :)

By the way, I believe when Rick refers to his better half as SWMBO, he is suggesting she is Someone Who Must Be Obeyed.

JTB

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jimbc - you win...:D

I will never complain about any boo boo I get again. I must say, thay wound is impressive.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Last September I cut 1/3 of the tip of my finger off with the table saw while cutting up scraps of the deck I took out of the boat.

Strangely, most of it grew back but it hurt/was numb for many months. Only in the past few weeks I am able to do normal things with it.

Never went to the hospital or doctor. Just bandaged it up and fell into a deep sleep.