Uhh, OUCH!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Uhh, OUCH!

WOW! Sorry guy's I wasn't trying to take anything away from any one else injuries. I was just trying to chalk it up as a learning experience and pass on some good advise to everyone else that gets and injury doing a resto on a boat. You guy's have every right to complain about any boo boo you get. To me they all hurt like hell. We just being males( I think everyone here are Males) Like to act like it didn't hurt. Keep em coming guy's I hate to think I am as dumb as I thought I was. I have to admit I did leave a little part of my story out. The main reason it happened to me was I wasn't following the proper OSHA laws and Safety guidelines:redface: I was wearing a pair of those like crock shoes instead of some nice leathery above the ankle boots. So I really asked for what I got and knew when I got in the wet boat:redface:

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jim...it's amazing how quick some injuries can happen and they always seem to happen under the most mundain circumstances i.e. hosing out the boat like you or scrubbing the boat like me.

Like darren just said in his post, my finger tip is numb. wierd... My SWMBO atleast laid down the law and made me get a tenus shot today. My arm isn't as sore as I thought it would be. So far, no infection:)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

This has nothing to do with boat building, but is by far my favorite injury.

One day I was splicing some phone wire with a razor in the basement. While stripping a wire I slipped and sliced my fore finger right to the bone. It instantly began draining blood all over the floor, so I grabbed onto it as hard as I could and immediately ran upstairs to the kitchen sink. Once there I ran it under the faucet so I could see what I did for damage and noticed the bone (1st time ever seeing a human bone.. I was amazed at how white they are). Still draining like a garden hose I wrapped my finger in paper towels and.. the doorbell rang. In the heat of the moment, I couldn't think of what else to do but answer the door, so there I was, with about 15 paper towels around my finger and I'm off to answer the door. Hiding my bloody hand behind my back I swing the door open and there are two perfectly dressed jahovas witnesses! I had been getting bothered by them for a while and this was by far the worst timing ever. Completely dumbfounded at the sight of these two kids, I apparently paused just long enough for them to begin their spiel. Trying my best to interrupt about how I was busy, I realized these were excuses they likely heard all of the time, so when I ran out of patience trying to be heard, I reached my hidden arm around my side into their sight. The paper towels were no longer towels, but dripping masses of blood soaked goo, and there it was, my bloody, dripping mess of a hand for all to marvel. Instantly they stopped mid sentence in horror. Just then, I calmly explained "I'm a little busy at the moment." No argument came from them, they quietly let the storm door close and began walking back down the driveway.

It goes without saying, my finger was in pain the entire time, but even then, in pain and dripping blood on every carpet we had, I burst into laughter. Needless to say, I was never again bothered by any kids in shirts and ties. I do still have a scar on that finger, as I never got stitches (I hate hospitals), but I don't mind. Every time I look at that scar I am reminded of one of the funniest days of my life. I hope that scar never heals. :)

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

lowkee, WOW! that made even me cringe a bit yea I saw my bone too and your right it is weird looking. All though I have seen my bone before, but that's another accident story. Man I have several of those, Maybe I will share some other time.

Fishpoop, Yea my arm was sore for a week where they gave me the tetanus shot. But I can say it made my ankle feel a tad better. :D

Darren Nemeth, That sounded like a bad one. :eek: Well at least you were able to sleep it off. :D

:redface:I just noticed my title status in this here forum. :eek: Hope to pass this one soon. Not liking this title.:D

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jim...it's amazing how quick some injuries can happen and they always seem to happen under the most mundain circumstances i.e. hosing out the boat like you or scrubbing the boat like me.

Like darren just said in his post, my finger tip is numb. wierd... My SWMBO atleast laid down the law and made me get a tenus shot today. My arm isn't as sore as I thought it would be. So far, no infection:)

OH trust me, Your are WILL be sore tomorrow. Uasally takes a day:mad:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I've used it for cuts which won't stop bleeding on their own. Otherwise a bandaid works fien for me (or nothing at all). Never had a stitch, never want one (unless they come out with polarized replacement eyeballs with built-in recording and zoom.. then I'll accept stitches!).

reelfishin

Captain

Pretty much any guy that's worked in a professional shop situation has learned the value of black electrical tape and a clean towel, no matter how deep or nasty the cut, it always seems to work.
Just the same, the same one's know how bad things like brake cleaner and carb cleaner hurt in an open cut.

I've always been amazed at how a nasty cut will always heal with those simple first aide fixes.

The worst injuries are eye injuries, the slightest piece of dirt feels like a spike in the eye. Over the years I've gotten pretty proficient at removing dirt and things from my eyes as well. When you spend 30 or so year in a truck shop, you get pretty darn good a quick fixes when you get paid by the job.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Oh man, I couldn't handle seeing bone. I can barely handle blood and if squirts, I'm out cold laying on the floor!

Anyways, had to add another to the list here. Nothing as gory but I had to go to urgent care tonight because I was trying to wipe my eyes clean (and yes I was wearing my glasses) and scratched my eye pretty good fiberglass. That wasn't a very fun way to spend my Sunday evening with the family.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The other day when I was grinding away on the boat I layed the grinder down on its back like your supposed to. As I was adjusting my mask the on/off switch must have got clogged with dust and it fired back up on its own. It rotated slightly and hit the side of the boat (no damage) then flipped over and started doing doughnuts on my hand. Luckily I was wearing gloves and it went through the glove and barely took a layer of skin. Was pretty damn funny afterwards. Cheap harbor freight crap.

While working in my old shop I had dropped blazing hot exhaust nuts down my shirt burning the nipple on its way down, had one roll down my arm leaving a trail of blisters, coolant in the eye, cuts bruises busted open head so on and so on.

Best one yet was gasoline in my eyes, was wearing safety glasses and doing a fuel filter on a c230, I got the filter loose and dropped it on accident, it bounces off the undercar panel and splashed me in the face, the safety glasses directed the gasoline straight into my eyes (go figure huh?) They had just recently installed an eyewash station.............about 50 yards away.

I made my way to where we kept the bottles of water and I reached right into an empty case of water......... at this point my eyes are on fire and I cant see, I try to run to the eye wash station through 6 stalls, one guy on my team left his bottom drawer open and I tripped over it. Fell on my face. Finally, someone comes to my aid teary eyed from laughter and walks me to the eyewash station. I wash out my eyes and go to the foreman and ask him why the f*ck they thought it would be a good idea to put the eyewash station as far away from the techs as possible. To this day, its one of the more common "Hey remember when" stories.

jackangel

Seaman Apprentice

I was using a wire wheel mounted on a drill to prep for paint and had it locked on, well it grabs in a corner and gets away from me and starts grindind the skin of of my fingers. I was almost upside down and in a tight spot so it took about 5 seconds to get the thing turned off, you would be amazed how much skin a wire brush will remove:redface:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing as gory but I had to go to urgent care tonight because I was trying to wipe my eyes clean (and yes I was wearing my glasses) and scratched my eye pretty good fiberglass. That wasn't a very fun way to spend my Sunday evening with the family.

Oh man! That is a big worry of mine working with all of this glass. I'm paranoid about getting a piece of glass in my eye. I figure if it itches this bad on my arm, just imagine my eyeball! .. well, I suppose you don't have to imagine anymore :p