Is there a WOODWORKER in the house??????????

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need something made for my henry project. When i removed the rub rail today...there is a "wedge" behind it to keep the rail square as the bow laps curve toward the nose....you can see it in this pic...it is the triangle shaped "wedge"

DSC03182.jpg

I need a new one made...the angle is 70 degrees and the base and height are:

tri.jpg

so...the base will start at 1/2" and taper to 0" at a total length of 20"

here is the old one...bad pic...
DSC03179.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

If there is anyone who can help a brother out...let me know....can pay cash or trade....I got mill...lathe...welders...powdercoat...electroplating...fabrication.....

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Is there a WOODWORKER in the house??????????

Check the local phone book for a cabinetmaker. They can fix you up...probably just need to promise a future fishing trip or two.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where are you located? I am a Historical Restoration Carpenter as well as a Fire Fighter. If you are close enough and you don't mind paying the shipping I will make them for you. I most likely have enough cedar on hand. If it is a limited lenth I have Mahogany on hand. Let me know what lenth you need.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tiller...I am just south of columbus, Ohio...no I don't mind paying S&H and labor ...I am sure I could do it...but..I see it as this...there are people out here...like yourself , that enjoy this type of work as a hobby...so I am spreading the hobby wealth!!!
If you want to do this for me...I will get you a definite length of the piece...but aside from that...do you understand my description of what it is I need????

Plus...I really don't care what the material is either...it will be epoxied and painted

Thanks dude!!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just relooked at your pictures....If you are going to make that rub rail union like that, it will look like sh....t.....Cut it off at a 45 degrees angle, your circular saw will lay over to it. then when you make your new rail at the same angle it will marry together much nicer and have more glueing surface,,,,,not to mention it will look like you know your sh....t, nice metal work on the transom.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tiller...yep....sounds like a good idea....as you can see...metal is my media of choice...that's what I am glad dudes like you are here!!!!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

K ....email me at ssteele@umfc.org with the particulars. and you address...I will make it from cedar (it will work good trust me LOL) as for labor....keep it, I live for this crap. Maybe I can hit you for some metal work some day. If you get me the mesurements tomorrow before noon I will run it in the afternoon and ship it to you Thurs. and yes your profile is sufficantjust get me a lenth....if you want me to over cut it fine....if you want an exact lenth that is fine to,,,,just remember that every tape measure mesures alittle different 1/64 or 1/32 you know the drill.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool man...sounds great!!
I will try to get measurements by noon!!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right on.........email it to me and we'll get it to ya by the weekend!

crunch

Commander

I'm assumeing you don't have a table saw?... if not?... get one. That's a no brainer cut with a table, and a PITA with a circ. saw.

A cheap table will go about $120.00 (craftsman 3 hp) and it will keep you from cutting off your fingers by accident trying to do that cut with a circ....it's not like this will be the last time you need to cut something.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

....I have most tools under the sun...believe me....just that some I know how to work better than others.....we are all "pro's" at something...and this type of work (table saw work) I don't find fun....but others do...that's why I seek other to help...they find it fun to do this....not trying to sound like an a--hole....just thought it would be fun to get others in on the project if they wanted!!

Chart

Cadet

Looks like Tiller has your request under control. Wish I'd seen it first, as it would be nice to trade woodworking with a guy who does metalworking. If you need something in the future and can't reach Tiller, you're welcome to call on me.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey chart...... why do you think I jumped on it LOL It was made today, and I will ship it tomorrow! I know it is not a fair trade and I willl pay the difference, but I run a pretty shallow river and I need to make a skeg protector of some type. May be we can work something out !!!

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

and this post just explains to everyone why i come to these forums lol.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL There are boaters and there are pople like us who like all aspects. This a really cool forum !

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pople- People what ever it takes lol

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought, why not make it one piece total instead of two? Add the "wedge" to the other piece of stock.

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tiller
yea...skeg protector would be no problem....how bout some half round stainless or aluminum? Profile would look like this:

skegprotector.jpg

Strizzy....I am assuming that they did this from the "factory" for some reason...maybe the wood wouldn't bend as easy? Plus..the wedge is only present for less than half the total length of the boat...it is only where the side walls start to curve to make the "chine"...I think this is the right word???? LOL!!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to post a picture, I actually broke my skeg off and I need to have a replacement made and welded on. I know they sell replacement or "weld on" ones what I was thinking about was doing an all in one deal. I have seen a skeg replacement that has a piece of flat stock or round bar like you are showing above like a wing on the bottom of the skeg?. I need to do something...even if it affects the performance a bit I don't really care....I am going to take that foot off one of these days, any sugestions let me know. I have tried "the cage" and it knocks wayyyy to much off my top end, it will not even get up on plain. Need to do some thing!!!!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stizzy I could do that, my only concern is if it even needs to make a slight bed, or form fit, it would be easier to do with two pieces. Just a thought. I have a steam box for doing this but mahogany needs hours sometimes days to get it maliable. I made this piece from cedar, which is a moist or high moisture content wood to start with. It should do what he needs it to do. Your way would kind of add a "ridgid spine" and make even the slightest bend tough. Good thought though.....if I was going to make a piece like that I would want to be right there next to the boat with tools set up. This is a long distance custom piece LOL !