Mercruiser Upper Gears SHOT... possible causes?

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice
OK, so I am sure that I am not alone in this type of post, but I purchased an '88 Raven Cuddy. The previous owner didn't use it a ton, but took pretty good care of it. He showed me the faults and ran the engine for me and even took me on a test drive.

So, I get it home, register the thing and purchase the necessary items that I need to go on a local lake (flares, etc.). On the lake for about 2 hours at various speeds and no audible or visual issues... then about 2 miles from any land, we are going at about 25 MPH and the engine revs really high and the prop stopped doing its job. I quickly put the throttle to neutral/idle, then shut the engine off. I was in 25' waters, so I didn't bottom out. Go back and look at the prop, etc. and don't see anything wrong. Check the engine (4cyl. 3.0L) and nothing visible, no water, smoke, etc. Check oil and level is fine.

Started the engine again, and it fired off right away. Let it idle for a while while I looked at the motor. No problems. I told my wife to watch the prop and I would put it in gear. No prop movement, just high reving. Turned it off, called the authorities and got a tow back to shore.

I took it to a marina mechanic. At first they thought it was a spun prop hub... I told them I removed the prop and tried to put the boat in gear, but the prop shaft didn't even spin with no prop on. So, they agreed to look at it to see what the issue was. He calls me the next day and says "Good news and bad news... Good: Prop not spun, U-joint are fine. Bad: Your upper gears are completely shredded and metal flakes all over both the upper and lower units. "We suggest you get a new aftermarked outdrive unit... installed = $2100."

I went out and got another outdrive from a parts boat. When I took the outdrive off, I popped cap on the upper unit and there was still oil in the chamber and the gears/bearings looked new. Drained the oil and it was clean as a whistle, no white streaks or water. Everything works well, I even manually spun the upper drive shaft and the prop shaft spun freely.

Now, I bought new gaskets and seals for the gimble & outdrive mount. 2 Quarts of gear oil, shaft grease and a pump for the gear oil. I have a repair manual and will follow it to a "T," but I just don't want the same thing to happen to this drive unit.

My questions:
  1. Is there anything I should look for in my old drive unit specifically that may tell me what happened?
  2. What should I look at in the new unit to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen?
  3. Any clue as to what may have happened, just from my description?

The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't bother to check the oil level in the drive chambers before I took it out, and doubt that the previous owner did anything to check it or even change it before me. My thought is that for some reason, one of the oil valve screws or gaskets came loose and the oil leaked, eventually causing the gears to heat up and all but melt. Any suggestions would be helpful, I want to be certain that this doesn't happen again!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser Upper Gears SHOT... possible causes?

in my experience the number one cause of upper gears getting stripped is a loss of gear lube, usually because of a bad seal in the drive

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dubs is right on. You also need to check your engine alignment while you have the drive off. If it's out of alignment it's not what caused your problem but if you dont check it you could have some new ones.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i just mentioned that a while back is that you never hear i checked my oil then
my outdrive fried. even if you had a small ,leak by checking and filling you would have been good for the day. takes no time to drain a little to check for water then top off. Unless it drains all at once then not much you can do.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

i just mentioned that a while back is that you never hear i checked my oil then
my outdrive fried. even if you had a small ,leak by checking and filling you would have been good for the day. takes no time to drain a little to check for water then top off. Unless it drains all at once then not much you can do.

Thanks guys, I figured as much... This is my first power boat owned, so I just learned a really difficult lesson. Now that I have a oil pump, I will open the top valve before I go out and pump to ensure there is enough in it, then re-seal.

The only redeeming value to this all is that I managed to buy a parts-only boat for $450 and I got a great outdrive and will continue to pull parts to use as backups or sell on eBay. I actually have someone interested in buying the windsheild glass & frame for $300! (If he buys, that means I got a great Outdrive for $150!)

bigskiohio

yeah i need one of those! id like to have a spare outdrive i still lookin just in case.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i need one of those! id like to have a spare outdrive i still lookin just in case.

The guy I bought my spare parts boat from gets all sorts of them quite a bit of the time... the only issue is that he's in Upstate NY and you would have to trailer it back yourself. The parts boat I bought was an '84 Larson Bowrider. Apparently the 4cyl. engine was blown (suspected as the oil was very dirty/black when drained) and the interior was completely shot. It had a great outdrive and gimble housing and the hull is really in great shape. Still has a nice instrument panel too that I may see if I can use on my boat.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

Dubs is right on. You also need to check your engine alignment while you have the drive off. If it's out of alignment it's not what caused your problem but if you dont check it you could have some new ones.

Well, there were no symptoms that would lead me to believe it was an alignment issue. The boat had been running fine for a couple of hours before she died and there was no noises, etc. to clue me in that there was something wrong.

How difficult is it to check the alignment? (I don't have my repair manual with me currently, and haven't read this section yet.) Do I need special tools?

bigskiohio

just a shaft that runs thru bearing into coupler then you adjust front of motor up or down so shaft slides in usually pretty simple. i bought one off of ebay from a guy in florida for 40.00. it is somthing youneed if you own a i/o boat. when you get then look for instructions here.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

out of alignment should impact almost entirely the coupler - that's pretty much what iut's there for, eh? Sounds like drive was low on lube, or that it had been run that way before, etc... chances are you didn't do anything wrong and the writing was on the wall before you even picked it up.

I've got an upper half in the garage I was going to use. Came off of a running boat, but when I popped the top cap, the gears are right on the verge of eating themselves. I'm amazed it was still running...

just keep the lube fresh and ful. and run good synthetic lube, you'll be fine...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First of all, having the engine out of alignment will not cause the gears to go bad in the upper gear box of the outdrive. May kill your coupler in short order, and is kind of hard on the gimbal bearing and ujoints. But not the gears. They have double beearings and backlash to protect them.
Of course with a gear failure of any kind it will take out all the upper. Don't forget, the gear oil in the upper is the same as in the lower and connected. If the gears went slowly, the lower is next to go.
How to prevent the failures? Check the gear lube level often, change it yearly, pull the drive yearly, if oil in bellows, you have low oil in the upper.
Preventive maintenance is the name of the game.

Run it till it pukes costs big bux.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

First of all, having the engine out of alignment will not cause the gears to go bad in the upper gear box of the outdrive. May kill your coupler in short order, and is kind of hard on the gimbal bearing and ujoints. But not the gears. They have double beearings and backlash to protect them.
Of course with a gear failure of any kind it will take out all the upper. Don't forget, the gear oil in the upper is the same as in the lower and connected. If the gears went slowly, the lower is next to go.
How to prevent the failures? Check the gear lube level often, change it yearly, pull the drive yearly, if oil in bellows, you have low oil in the upper.
Preventive maintenance is the name of the game.

Run it till it pukes costs big bux.

I hear ya... I purchased a whole (upper & lower) outdrive unit that I will be installing today/tomorrow. I just wanted to know what the cause of this blowout was and wanted to avoid the same mistake with the "new" outdrive. I just purchased new gastkets, seals, lube and grease, so it sounds like I should be good to go.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

How difficult is it to check the alignment? (I don't have my repair manual with me currently, and haven't read this section yet.) Do I need special tools?

Short answer, YES. Borrow, buy, or make an alignment tool. It will help prevent coupler failure, being stranded, towing and engine removal in the near future.

Make sure your "Repair Manual" is an OEM manual....not a Seloc or Clymer.....save those for your Wood Stove.....

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

Short answer, YES. Borrow, buy, or make an alignment tool. It will help prevent coupler failure, being stranded, towing and engine removal in the near future.

Make sure your "Repair Manual" is an OEM manual....not a Seloc or Clymer.....save those for your Wood Stove.....

I have the original Merc engine and outdrive manuals, but I also have the Clymer. IMO, the Clymer is a very good book that reinforces the OEM manuals.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I just installed the outdrive after having to changed the u-joints/drive shaft on the outdrive, and before I put it on I noticed the exhaust bellows had come off on the transom side. To complicate the issue, the bellows side of the bellows had a stripped clamp, so I ended up having to cut it off. Purchased a new exhaust tube & adhesive, installed.

Installed the drive and figured out the hard way that it's easier to get the drive shaft into the engine coupler with the prop installed. Filled the outdrive with lube and then ran it on muffs @ low RPMs rather quickly, all is running beautifully! I have a really big feeling of accomplishment! :D