Dock lights

LongJohnSilver

Seaman Apprentice
I'm considering adding lights on my dock which is about 130 feet long. My closest electrical outlet is 150 away and I would prefer using solar lighting. My dock is about a mile from the ocean and the water is brackish. I'm considering going the cheap route and just getting those ones carried by Wal-mart and replacing them one by one as they wear out over time. Any recommendations?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Dock lights

They are not very bright but, they do last long. The light dims and only lasts a few hours into dark. Are the lights for locating the dock or for lighting the walkway? There are small LED battery powered lights that are far brighter and last a long tome on very little juice.

I have even seen people hook up remote control lights that work off a car remote so when they are within 500' of the dock they press the button and light it up. That all runs off a 12V marine battery.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LJS - I have a load of those LED units the wife bought on special from Costco. I think it was Westinghouse brand - 15 pieces in a box for about a hundred bucks. They cast a nice bright white light for about 10-12 hrs on a full sunny day charge. They come with a spike on the bottom for landscape mounting, but I'm sure you could adapt the base post to a dock somehow. Act fast - limited supply (you know, Costco).

LongJohnSilver

Seaman Apprentice

Bob they will be primarily for lighting the walkway. I may use a different kind for finding the dock from the water in the dark, maybe a spotlight version. I won't use it for boating much at night, mostly for entertaining.
Stevieray that's the type I had in mind, thanks for mentioning Coscto, my wife just got their charge card and I can delegate the chore to her. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it's a wooden dock, just drill a hole and drive the spike into the hole.