SmartTab Impressions - Noob's long post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I?m experienced with small 8HP tiller-controlled skiffs. Here are my impressions of SmartTabs on my first real boat:

So, installed SmartTabs SX (blemished!) on my new 1997 SeaSwirl 2100 DC w/175HP OB. (Because I didn?t like excessive bow-lift to get on plane, random port-starboard list at high speed, constant trim adjustments to control porpoising vs bow-steer, extreme creepy banks on a sharp turn, etc)

The first time I tried them, the weather kinda sucked. Quite choppy. But my 70+ year old parents were visiting to ride my new boat, so I took them out. Internet weather says no big deal. Internet weather lies. The weather quickly got worse, 2-3? swells, whitecaps, spray, scary crap, and yet I was mearly bummed that it was so bad that I couldn?t really try out the new tabs. (I didn't yet realize that I WAS trying out the tabs) I didn?t even notice that I wasn?t nervous ? I was just bummed that I couldn?t zip down to some cool sight-seeing areas. Should have been my first clue.

My next opportunity I really was concentrating on a shift control cable length issue. I took the boat out about 1/2 mile, stopped - readjusted the cable, gunned the motor, re-readjusted, etc. I forgot all about the tabs. When I thought I had the shift cable just right, in wide open water, I took the boat thru all its paces. Gunning it, quick stops, quick turns at high speeds, etc. I was so pleased that I had the shift issue resolved. The boat was so much more in control. Not nervous a bit ? Yep, I had that shift thing fixed.

I lift-parked the boat. Pleased that I now felt in control again.

Then I realized, ?Waitaminute, I'm a NOOB!!! I NEVER felt in control before when the shift worked, so maybe it?s the tabs!?

So I took the boat of its lift again and headed back out, this time paying attention.

What I noticed most with the SmartTabs was?....?NOTHING.

(except that I could now plane at about 13MPH, and I could get on plane BEFORE I got nervous about losing horizon-sight)

What I mean is my boat experienced NO BAD THINGS.

I didn?t gain 10+ MPH, I didn?t see any bikini-clad chicks, no fish jumped into the boat. My boat was in control, as if I (ME!) had gained some years-experience boating skills. My boat now feels like an extension of what I want it to do. It no longer feels like some twitchy ?Extreme Boat?, it feels like a boat that makes sense. When I turn, it now leans the amount I was expecting. When I want to slow down for a bit, it doesn?t drop off plane like a rock. When I gun it like a teenager, it hops on plane quickly like it?s normal. No surprises, easy control.

To a boater with more experience than me, there may be better explanations. But at my level, it seems that the main benefits of SmartTabs is not so much that things improve, but that bad things go away. I cannot stress this enough. Bad things go away, (or at least greatly reduced), and your boat does what you thought it should do.

It?s subtle, but quite profound.

I just bought my teenagers a 16? Wahoo (Boston Whaler clone) with a too fast 85HP OB. It doesn?t NEED SmartTabs. But you can bet that boat will have SmartTabs on it before the month is over.

Before the tabs, I thought this 1st boat was a starter boat. I like it now. Actually, I like it a lot now. I think it's a keeper. If not, the next boat will have the tabs too!

Jim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SmartTab Impressions - Noob's long post

i say over and over, it is the best $100.00 spent on a boat.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

They really are that good...put them on my last boat and a friend was so impressed we put a set on his. My current boat has Lenco helm adjustable tabs that I hate to screw with, because I was so used to the fully automatic feature of my Nauticus tabs.
Where they really shine is if you have a boat that porpoises at the sweet spot or an underpowered boat that is slow to plane. They really do make a world of difference..

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would love to try them afterall they get great reviews but...I have been waiting for over a week for a response to an email and a PM I sent requesting more info. from Nauticus. :mad:

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would love to try them afterall they get great reviews but...I have been waiting for over a week for a response to an email and a PM I sent requesting more info. from Nauticus. :mad:
It's a well proven fact that they don't respond to emails in a timely manor at Nauticus. Just give them a call and you'll probably talk directly with the owner John. E-mail is not the way to contact them..... But don't let that discourage you. They have a great product and stand behind it!

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a well proven fact that they don't respond to emails in a timely manor at Nauticus. Just give them a call and you'll probably talk directly with the owner John. E-mail is not the way to contact them..... But don't let that discourage you. They have a great product and stand behind it!

Well, all I can say is that in today market place if a company offers email as an option to communicate, than they need to provide timely communication just like any other communication.

Regardless in my specific instance I need for them to see a picture of my transom to provide technical support on whether their product would be functional. Hard for me to send a picture over the phone.

Anyway, I won't let it discourage me if they do respond at some point to my inquiry. With that the summer is slipping away.:p

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's pretty poor, but it is what it is....
I'd still give them a call and you should get some assistance. Maybe you could get a direct email for your pic?....

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

If you put a Band Aid on a nasty cut you have what? Right...you've covered it up...for awhile. And what happens when you least expect it? An infection.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

So my boat is infected?

I think it's ok. See, I put 4200 ointment into the screw holes, that should guard against any 'infection.'

Not quite understanding your analogy.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Super nub here, hopeful future boat owner...

What are smart tabs? A link explaining would be great, as I'm sure most of you have better things to do than explain it. Thanks

nlain

Commander

Here is a link to their website, the owner is a member here and you can buy them at iboats.com. There is a lot of info on the Nauticus site. They are great also. :D

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

If you put a Band Aid on a nasty cut you have what? Right...you've covered it up...for awhile. And what happens when you least expect it? An infection.

Fess up, CAPTAIN.......... and share your vast knowledge with us newbies. A fresh voice with some forward thinking ideas is always welcome here.....
:confused:

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They might be suitable for a smaller dingy and inflatables but I would rather have Lencos or Bennetts for anything more substantial. The Smart Tabs look awfully light duty for saltwater use.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, I'm sure Smart tabs are a great product. I have been correcting boat attitudes for so long now by correctly propping them, that I have never found a use for trim tabs of any kind, except maybe on much larger boats which might list port or starboard. I have always thought that correcting a problem was always more favorable than compensating for it.

nlain

Commander

As a very satisfied user for 4 years now, primarily in salt water, I can say they do everything advertised. I would call them a fix instead of a bandaid because they do work well and I really cannot see a prop change doing everything that Smart Tabs do, I may be wrong but I just do not see it.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a very satisfied user for 4 years now, primarily in salt water, I can say they do everything advertised. I would call them a fix instead of a bandaid because they do work well and I really cannot see a prop change doing everything that Smart Tabs do, I may be wrong but I just do not see it.
Well said and I totally agree...

rcracerx

Seaman

I put a set on my 216 SeaHawk and they do everything they said they would. I removed a hydrofoil that was installed that did not work well IMHO.

The only negative things I could possible say about the product is the plastic hardware they use. The plastic nut & bolt specifically, after making a few adjustments to the actuator position the plastic bolts and nut do not tighten up properly anymore. If you go too tight it spins like it is stripped, I think that it should have come with a SS 5/16 nut & bolt for the arm.

I actually called their support line about it and was told yea you should go and buy SS 5/16th bolts to replace them. Based on the great support stories I heard from this site I was almost expecting them to offer to send new plastic bolts or even metal replacements but nope I was told to go to the hardware store....my wife actually wasn't too happy with that response since they were only 3 weeks old. I sent a message to John but never heard a word from him.:confused:

Other then that the product is worth the $100 I paid for them.

Rc

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do SmartTabs handle reverse and the force of water in the opposite direction (even though the speeds are usually low)?

Aside from the raves, what are the "to watch out fors"?

Status
Not open for further replies.