SmartTab Impressions - Noob's long post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: SmartTab Impressions - Noob's long post

No problems with reverse...
The only things to "watch out for", in my opinion, would be the plastic hardware and measure twice and drill once during installation.... Although I haven't experienced any problems with mine.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I am wondering how the installation of the Smart Tabs would affect a boat hull warranty if there ever happened to be water intrusion of any sort.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am wondering how the installation of the Smart Tabs would affect a boat hull warranty if there ever happened to be water intrusion of any sort.

How would adding a fish finder/depth sonar affect the warranty?
How would adding Bennit trim tabs affect the warranty?
How would adding an aftermarket ladder affect the warranty?

Answer is probably the same for all, if they're dealer installed, it won't. If you do it yourself, it will.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oh, I'm sure Smart tabs are a great product. I have been correcting boat attitudes for so long now by correctly propping them, that I have never found a use for trim tabs of any kind, except maybe on much larger boats which might list port or starboard. I have always thought that correcting a problem was always more favorable than compensating for it.

You are picking on one of my sacred cows . . .

Who said that trim tabs of any type were only for "correcting a problem"? Trim Tabs (for me helm adjustable, but doesn't matter) should be standard equipment on all v-hulls IMHO. Why do we need trim if you can fix everything with props? Why aren't props considered a bandaid? This right here sounds like a voice of inexperience. Trim tabs are the most amazing tool I have ever used. They allow me so much more flexibility and although I have used them to correct a severe porpoising issue on one of my boats that I guarantee you could not have fixed with propping, I currently have them on a hull that needed absolutely nothing for list or porpoising or top speed. The balance on this hull was perfect and I had tabs on her within two weeks.

Why would you not want more tools? More adjustablilty (helm adjustable), lower planing speeds say from 18 to 12 MPH? Why? Why? Why? "Band Aid" me arse!!!! Why is listing corrections a big boat issue?

Sorry to be so passionate, but I suspect you just have not used them correctly or maybe ever . . .

45Auto

Commander

I have been correcting boat attitudes for so long now by correctly propping them, that I have never found a use for trim tabs of any kind

If you've always been able to correct boat attitudes with a prop, either you're dealing with REAL small boats or you don't realize that you haven't corrected the problem. Care to give some examples of things you've corrected by propping???

(If he'd ever used tabs on a boat he wouldn't have made the statements he did ........)

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Capt'n Chris, No insult to your integrity intended, but you must admit you have a bit of an agenda, or at least 'the appearance of a conflict of interest.'

Your iboats' profile led me to your website.

Capt'n Chris's website's main purpose is to sell a plastic plate onto which you mount your transducer, speedo, etc. As far as I can tell, you glue this plate to your transom, then screw your device to the plate. Thus, no holes are drilled into your transom. Actually, It's a very good idea.

I don't see how this is any different than 5200ing a piece of StarBoard to your transom, and mounting your electronics to that, but that's what he's selling.

I gotta admit, though, the Capt'n sure looks nautical in his webpage pic.

Here's the Capt'n's webpage:

http://www.sternmate.com/

Attachments

• CaptnChris.jpg
    CaptnChris.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I must apologize to Capt'n Chris for my snarky post above. The more I research transom mounting plates, the more I see that he has the best ones.

Maybe his website got better in the past couple of years, even if you don't buy his stuff, check out his website before installing a transducer. Lots of good info and vids.

The Captn still looks nautically cool in his pics, though....

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would love to try them afterall they get great reviews but...I have been waiting for over a week for a response to an email and a PM I sent requesting more info. from Nauticus. :mad:

Yes, go ahead and call them. They are great to talk with and will spend the time needed to get you set.
Btw, My email was responded to in one day. I've heard others say it took a while to get a response, though. Not sure why some experience that.

I bought used ones, have some issues, and they are working with me. Most companies would say, "you bought them used from someone?...... sorry, we can't help you."

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Apologise? After 2 years? It is 2011 this year!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yes, go ahead and call them. They are great to talk with and will spend the time needed to get you set.
Btw, My email was responded to in one day. I've heard others say it took a while to get a response, though. Not sure why some experience that.

I bought used ones, have some issues, and they are working with me. Most companies would say, "you bought them used from someone?...... sorry, we can't help you."

LOL if he's STILL waiting on an email he is indeed a patient guy LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.