Bellows Replacement - Volvo 275D

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace my drive bellows on my Volvo 275D outdrive. I've read here in an older post that totally removing the drive is not necessary. I was able to replace my exhaust bellows from underneath without much problem. Is there a way to remove the upper housing to access this drive bellow?
Boat: '86 Bayliner, AQ131A/275.

Shouldn't Have

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bellows Replacement - Volvo 275D

Here's a quote from Don S on another post. Not too big of a job to remove the upper gear box, as long as the steering helmet pin comes out easy for you. Oh and as you will read here in the forums, don't lose the shims between the upper and intermediate housings.

Removingtopbox2.png

You are also going to need new seals and orings for putting the gear box back on.

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll definetly investigate this method. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace those seals and o-rings anyway. If I do pull it off this way and find water has gotten in, what's the recommended method of "insuring" no further damage to the bearings occur? Do I grease the "holy &$&6* out of the bearings after I spray it down with wd40?

Shouldn't Have

Seaman Apprentice

Here was my experience this spring. I bought the boat last year and did not do the maintenance items. I wish I would have. I had a small amount of water in both of my ujoint bellows (twins). At first glance all appeared well, but the intermediate bearings were bad. You will see how I tested that in the thread.

This is my post that I am currently running http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=310358.

If there is water in there, you probably have problems.

Scott

dmax05

Recruit

click the link in my signature for a couple pics I took doing the job on my 290 Penta outdrive. Read the notes because I dissasembled something I should have and you should avoid doing that as well. There is also a picture of outdrive schematic with the other parts I replaced. There are also some good threads on baylinerownersclub.org. Here is one
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21914

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a quote from Don S on another post. Not too big of a job to remove the upper gear box, as long as the steering helmet pin comes out easy for you. Oh and as you will read here in the forums, don't lose the shims between the upper and intermediate housings.

Ok, I'm stumped! How do you get the Steering Helmet Pin out? I've tried everything in the book. Please help, need a new book!

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

captmello, Thanks for the info. Fortunately, I was able to get the pin out after inserting 2 screw drivers into the smaller holes and prying counter clockwise with a cheater bar. Needless to say, I did add a few superlatives to my vocabulary that I probably shouldn't repeat here. But, at the end of the day, we have the new bellows installed and took it out Saturday and it performed great! We did not take on any water (to speak of). Anyway, we do have a new problem with the throttle cable now. Not too sure why, but it's extremely tight and I have to play muscle man to engage and dis-engage the throttle. I'm not too sure what I did when I removed the transmission to cause this? It looked like everything went right back where we started? I'll probably start a new thread asking this question but any advice would be great. Thanks again for the information and graphic!

Shouldn't Have

Seaman Apprentice

Not too sure why, but it's extremely tight and I have to play muscle man to engage and dis-engage the throttle.
The throttle cable is on your main inside engine. You should not have touched that, doing the bellows. Are you really talking about the shift cable from forward to neutral to reverse? If so, mine was also somewhat snug. What I did was when I had the shift cover off the outdrive, I greased up all of the linkages and also where the cable enters the sleeve. I had a buddy shift back and forth while I applied grease to the different areas.

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shouldn't Have, Thanks for the information. I'll definetly look at it again in more detail. Your right, I didn't even take the cowling off the engine when I did the bellows replacement. Yes, it's the shifter cable.

sumberger

Recruit

I have removed everything and got the bellows on, now I cannot get my driveshaft lined up? Does anyone have a tip on how to get this back together.

Scott

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need to insert the drive shaft into the tranny first (motor end), then wiggle or slightly rotate the propeller shaft to align. Be patient, this may take a few tries.

sumberger

Recruit

Thank you, that is what i have been doing, but just cant seem to get it lined up. I will keep trying.

Thank you
Scott

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

For replacing the u-joints back on the shaft - first make sure the splines are well greased to avoid trouble in the future. When putting the knuckle back on - those extra superlatives you used before will come in handy! 10 inch long 1/8" diameter fingers would also help:D

As an alternative, a helper with a long screwdriver may also do the trick.

Keep at it and you'll get it on eventually.