gas/oil mixtures 1999 200 Johnson OceanPro

jetskitech51

Recruit
I was wondering if there is a product on the market that will allow you too take a fuel sample and measure the fuel oil content ratio,because I am at a stand still as too whether or not to add more oil after filling up again with gas,Prior to filling up I am fouling plugs and dropping cylinders,I am just really concerned with how much oil should be added to the tank after adding another 22gals of fuel,because as of right now the engine is still smoking like crazy and I did not add a drop of oil,I dont want to rely on the amount of smoke as a factor too wether or not oil should be added.Thankyou for all of your replies in advance.Please help me too getting back on the water and fishing. :rolleyes:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas/oil mixtures 1999 200 Johnson OceanPro

Welcome to iboats Richie!<br /><br />You didn't mention wether or not your still using the OMS (VRO) pump. This would be good to know. Also, is this a new engine to you or have you had it a while? History always help.<br /><br />A smokey engine doesn't always mean there's too much oil getting to the cylinders. Poor ignition, a cold running engine or fouled carbs can all cause excessive smoke. Have you decarbed the engine lately? This could help also.<br /><br />Adding 22 gal of gas to the tank with no oil is very risky if your not certain of the oil content. There is nothing that I know of that will determine how much oil is in the fuel. If it were me, I would add the required amount of oil to the tank to take care of the 22gal of fuel. If you don't, your risking engine damage if you are premixing.

jetskitech51

Recruit

First of all I would like too thankyou for the quick reply,too answer your question,on the VRO,yes I have completley eliminated the VRO by installing a new fuel pump without the oil injection unit.the motor is a 1999 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro,I have owned the boat enough too have taken it out about 10 times.The problems all started when I went out off shore 55 miles Gulf Of Mexico,when returning too shore about 2 miles off.I turned the motor off to do a little fishing in a well known area,about an hour later I went to go start it and it was smoking alot,I got it back to the boat ramp and it was dropping cylinders fast to the point it had to be put back on the trailer without the motors effort.From there I went ahead and disabled the VRO,blocking it off,I filled the tank completley with fuel totaling 105 gallons,and then went ahead and added 320 ounces of Quiksilver 2cyle oil.I later find out that I screwed up badly and found that out the hard way,with SeaTow pulling me back in to the ramp.On the way home I put thirteen gallons of gas in the tank and added no oil at this time because now I knew that from the beggining I put about 40 onces of oil too much in the tank.I changed the plugs out and put in a fresh set of NGK BPZ8hS-10 plugs,and took it out the following weekend,It ran alot better this time arround,but when idling for 3 minutes or so it would start fouling,again,at least this time I was able to get it back home.On the way home I added 22 gallons of fuel and no oil,ran it on the hose for a while,and it still smoking like crazy,but something is telling me not too take it out without putting any oil in it,hopefully I gave you as much information as I could too maybe come to a conclusion to what I should maybe do.I myself am a PWC technician (watercraft tech) and know alot about 2-strokes,but please excuse me I am not sure of the process of decarbing the engine?If you could explain I will give it a try.Again thanks for your time.Have a good day.

KCMILLS

Seaman

I would decarb it helped my 1996 200 oecean pro alot. I sprayed into the carbs and added to the tank lots of smoke and black carbon comes out did this a few times and then bogged it down until it alomost stalled while spraying and let it sat overnight,then i took the plugs out in the am cleaned them put them back in started engine ran like crap smoked, kept cleaning plugs then took it out on lake and wot it,,for about 20 minutes then came home installed new plugs much better now ,,besides the horror stories you hear about VRO's why did you disconnect yours anything happened?