70's Model 105 horse starting issues

dsenochs

Recruit
I have a 70's Model Chrysler 105 horse that I have been having problems with. I have replaced the Starter, solenoid and battery cable wires. It is starting fine but only after I push the throttle into forward and then back to neutral. When I don't engage it forward it won't fire at all. Is this something to be concerned about? Or should I just keep doing this with the assumption that it will continue to work? Last year I got stuck on the lake and had to be towed back, so I would like to avoid that this year if at all possible!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70's Model 105 horse starting issues

Your problem is compliance in the control cables. Because of this compliance, the shift may not actually return to center when the control handle is returned to straight up--neutral. Thus: The neutral interlock switch is not being depressed. What you are doing by moving the control back and forth is correct. It works the compliance and re-centers the shift which depresses the button and allows starting.

HOWEVER: Depending upon the year of your engine, the neutral interlock can be mounted on the distributor or on the shift actuating arm down low by the cables.

The neutral interlock switch is a brown rectangle about 2-3 inches long with a white button protruding from the center.

Early 70s engines had the neutral interlock switch attached on the front of the stationary distributor mount. A cam shaped bent piece of metal was mounted on the movable distributor body. This piece was slotted so that it could be adjusted to positively depress the white button in neutral.

Later, (as I was told) the Coast Guard decided this was not a positive enough neutral interlock and Chrysler changed it to the shift arm lever. This switch is mounted below the bottom carb and a cam on the shift arm depresses the button only in neutral. The cam is held to the slotted shift arm by two screws which allow adjustment.

So there you have it. If you get tired of moving the control lever or if it stops correcting the no start condition, then adjust whichever interlock cam you have. Just put the control handle in neutral. Remove the engine hood. Loosen the two screws and slide the cam whichever way causes it to depress the white button. Retighten the screws and replace the hood. Go enjoy your engine.

Also, understand that with the ignition key on, the neutral interlock only functions to stop the starter motor from turning. You can still pull start the engine by wrapping a stout cord around the flywheel--no need to be towed.

dsenochs

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the neutral interlock switch without any success. It continues to start fine when I engage it forward then put back in neutral. So I may just call it good, but am very curious to find that switch!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sorry! I should have mentioned: The two yellow wires go to and from the neutral interlock switch. So trace the yellow wire from the start solenoid and it will lead right to the switch.

As I said, the switch will either be mounted high up near the flywheel on the distributor or below and to the side of the bottom carb--maybe an ince or so above the control cable. In either case it is a brown switch about 2 1/2 inches long by 1 inch thick, rectangular in shape, with a small white button protruding from the center.

dsenochs

Recruit

scratch that, I found the switch! Thanks again!!!