Cleaning the Gas Tank

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
I got a 22ft Bayliner I am trying to get into shape after sitting for several 2-3yrs. I am sure it was not winterized properly so I know any gas in the tank is bad...

The plan: Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, drain and clean carb bowl, before firing.

The Question: I was at West Marine and saw some stuff that says it will fix bad gas and clean the gas tank! Does this stuff work? Should I use it? What else if anything should I do to clean the gas tank?

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cleaning the Gas Tank

I got a 22ft Bayliner I am trying to get into shape after sitting for several 2-3yrs. I am sure it was not winterized properly so I know any gas in the tank is bad...

The plan: Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, drain and clean carb bowl, before firing.

The Question: I was at West Marine and saw some stuff that says it will fix bad gas and clean the gas tank! Does this stuff work? Should I use it? What else if anything should I do to clean the gas tank?

Since no one else seems to have an answer here is what I did and the boat seems to be running fine!

1) Drained 17 gals of old gas from the tank using the electric fuel pump to pump it out. I had the stern low and bow raised...

2) Drained all the fuel lines and blew them out with air.

3) Replaced the water separating filter and inline filter (had to adapt a automotive one, mercruiser one no longer availble)

4) Used one bottle of Pensoil Marine fuel system cleaner (From Advance: Says it treats up to 12 gals)

5) Filled tank with 5 gals of 110 octane race gas ($6.49 / gal)

6) Half a tank of 89 octane

7) Ran it...

Any one have a better plan or idea of how to clean the fuel system especially the tank after it has sat with bad gas?

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that stuff doesnt work you cant rehab gas that has been sitting for so long. best thing is drain as much as possible then fill with highest octane gas available to offset the remnents of the bad. other than that your plan sounds fine

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

that stuff doesnt work you cant rehab gas that has been sitting for so long. best thing is drain as much as possible then fill with highest octane gas available to offset the remnents of the bad. other than that your plan sounds fine

That is what I thought... I didn't think there was a miracle chemical to fix bad gas except CAM II racing fuel... lol that is why I went the way I did! Thanks for a reply