large lake boating

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class
HI I'm planing a trip to a big lake.<br />and Ive only been on small resivore before<br />what I want to know is are there any tricks to dealing with a big lakes.<br />it's 96,000 acers and Ive only beeen on 2,600 before thanks.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: large lake boating

What66, the only difference I can think of is just that there is more to know. I always like to get a little local knowledge. Ask some questions at the marina and you will get some good advice. For example, they will tell you based upon the lake level where the hazards are.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

No tricks, but the biggest concern probably is not to get lost. Make sure you have a good marine/terrain map of the lake and a compass -- or GPS. <br /><br />Make sure you've got lots of gas, and keep an eye on it.<br /><br />Have fun!

brother chris

Commander

I agree with Sailor and Ol'Norse. <br />Ask around and find out when the wind picks up and dies down...an important factor pending on the size of your vessel. <br />Fishfinder would help lots too. <br />And most of all....enjoy yourself.

DustyJacket

Seaman

Bigger lakes bring bigger boats with bigger wakes.<br /><br />I went to the Lake of the Ozarks in June with my 18-foot bowrider, and when I went toward the middle where all the arms come together, I had to slow way down and pick my route amongst all the wakes from the 35-45 foot boats.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

DustyJacket is correct. The bigger the water the more aware of what is happening comes into play. <br />GPS, a weather alert radio, and an eye on the weather along with the proper safety gear. <br /> Not knowing where you are going also comes into play. If a large lake with islands is different than a large reservoir where you would have more open water.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Definately talk to locals about the weather and how the lake behaves. My lake is 45,000 Square acres, and it can get real nasty real quick, often times forming its own weather systems. For the most part, if you pay attention to weather forcasts, you'll be fine. Also, find out where all the marinas are, have a map and gps handy, you never know what could happen. In a pinch you can always go to someones private dock at their house, most people are pretty cool to boaters in trouble. Good luck...

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Big lakes have a way of diluting a lot of the boat traffic once you get out of the marina. I just got back from spending the weekend on Lake Ontario and after departing the harbor, didn't come within a half mile of another boat all day.<br /><br />The point I am trying to make is that there may not be someone around to help you as if you were on a smaller lake with concentrated traffic. Therefore, make sure your boat is in top mechanical shape. An hour of shop time for a competent mechanic to go over everything before you go out is a worthwhile investment and a lot less than a 10 mile tow.<br /><br />Even with new boats in good mechanical condition, Things happen. Therefore, a VHF will save you from just hoping you can get someones attention. Some states also require you to have flares when boating on their larger lakes.<br /><br />Kevin

brother chris

Commander

Also a kicker motor would be an asset. Like PAkev said, have your motor(s) in tip-top shape. <br />Paddling sucks.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I didn't go to that lake the water was to low to launch :( <br />But I did go to a smaller big lake 17,000 acres<br />there was not a lot of boats and things went great for 2hrs then my main engine died and my back up failed to the current was to strong to padle.<br />so we were stuck for 2 hrs until we flaged someone down and got towed in.<br />It was a hrad jession learnd but now I will never go out again without all my safty gear and good working egines.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is one of the most important threads I have seen on here. What66 was very smart to be concerned and ask questions BEFORE boating in a situation they were not familiar with. The replies were also safety minded. Even with that caution, what66 found themselves in what could have been a life threatening situation.<br />I'm on the Ohio river, and every year boaters from all over the area( many of which are lake boaters) put their boats in on the Ohio for a local fireworks show and party called Riverfest. Every year, someone DIES. Usually because they are not familiar with the difference between lake boating and river boating(sometimes it's also a combination including alcohol). Be smart, ask questions and be safe.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is a big difference between the Great Lakes and your average "big" lake. I treat the Great Lakes as I do the ocean. Except for the lack of salt in the water, you need the same skills, equipment, and NOAA charts.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Tagging along with swist, the great lakes will also create lower temps than the weather channel will report. Bring extra clothing to stay warm. Nights at times can be downright cold!