cold start procedure for 70's 135HP Johnson

rcolman

Cadet
I have recently acquired a mid-70s 135HP, 4-cylinder Johnson outboard. It runs great when it is hot. However, I can barely get it started when cold, and it idles like crap when cold.

FIRST, what is the proper procedure to start this motor? There is the three-way choke switch on the motor, a toggle switch on the throttle, and a "warm-lift" level as well. What do I do?

SECOND, once I get the starting procedure down, how do I diagnose the starting problem? Also sounds like it is not getting enough fuel, and sputters and dies many times before it finally heats up a bit and starts running.

rick colman
rcolman@cox.net

jonesg

Admiral
Re: cold start procedure for 70's 135HP Johnson

I have recently acquired a mid-70s 135HP, 4-cylinder Johnson outboard. It runs great when it is hot. However, I can barely get it started when cold, and it idles like crap when cold.

FIRST, what is the proper procedure to start this motor? There is the three-way choke switch on the motor, a toggle switch on the throttle, and a "warm-lift" level as well. What do I do?

SECOND, once I get the starting procedure down, how do I diagnose the starting problem? Also sounds like it is not getting enough fuel, and sputters and dies many times before it finally heats up a bit and starts running.

rick colman
rcolman@cox.net

this says it all for cold starts.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: cold start procedure for 70's 135HP Johnson

Of course, that assumes you have a push-to-choke on the key. But you have a toggle. So, in addition to everything mentioned, instead of pushing in on the key, simply hold the toggle while turning the key to start. After it starts, "bump" the toggle as needed to keep it running till it warms up enough to keep going on it's own. And THEN, you can finally return the warm-up lever to idle so you can shift into gear and go.

Meanwhile, somebody is yelling at you about the smoke and oil slick. They just don't understand and love old motors like the rest of us.