Deep Cycle Battery Freshness - 14 month old battery for sale at Walmart

RonBurgandy

Cadet
I thought I read somewhere that "freshness" is important when buying a battery. Does this apply to Deep Cycle?

I want to buy an Everstart Deep Cycle from Wal Mart but they were all manufactured in March 2008 (14 months ago). Does this really matter?

Thanks.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deep Cycle Battery Freshness - 14 month old battery for sale at Walmart

I thought I read somewhere that "freshness" is important when buying a battery. Does this apply to Deep Cycle?

I want to buy an Everstart Deep Cycle from Wal Mart but they were all manufactured in March 2008 (14 months ago). Does this really matter?

Thanks.

Yes, pull one from the back of the rack. it may not be a problem since they give you a warrenty, but let someone else deal with the problem.

That sounds really wierd, they move so many darn batteries I cannot figure how they would have had one that old...

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Your looking at the letter/# sticker ( would read like "D9")?? I've seen some last years batteries there but nothing past 6 mo or so.
Besides it's walmart, bring it back in 3 years and get a brand new one!

Expidia

Commander

I used to work in a gas station as a kid. Batteries in those days were shipped and stored on our shelf dry (no acid).
Once sold one, we would pour acid into each cell to activate it.

Over the years I noticed they did away with dry batteries and they come charged (full of acid). Probably for safety and convenience they now come charges and ready to install.

I'm not a battery expert but I would not accept a year old battery that was activated a year ago because those plates inside have had to start the deteriorating process as soon as it's been activated.

I think someone brought that battery back a year later and it somehow got by their return dept and it was unknowingly put back on the shelf for sale.

That's just my opinion, I'd take it back. Maybe someone who knows how batteries work can chime in.

pheasanthunter

Seaman Apprentice

Just keep your reciept and bring it back if it goes bad. just make sure you keep the reciept........

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

freshness matters because my dad runs the same batteries as i do on his camper and replaces every 2-3 years because they wont hold but a days worth of a charge on them we do a lot of back woods camping generater and battery power only.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, pull one from the back of the rack. it may not be a problem since they give you a warrenty, but let someone else deal with the problem.

That sounds really wierd, they move so many darn batteries I cannot figure how they would have had one that old...

The old one is still on the shelf because everyone keeps reaching back to the back to buy the newer ones!

Expidia

Commander

2 year old thread, so don't get insulted if the original poster doesn't respond back :D