Honda Generator Troubleshooting

D

DJ

My neighbor has asked me to look at his, what appears to be, ANCIENT Honda Generator. When was the last time time Honda put a full metal housing around a tiny genset?<br /><br />The model # is a: EM 500 A<br /><br />A/C 120V 400VA<br />D/C 12V 100W 60HZ.<br /><br />We have compression, we have spark, we thinks-no fuel. There is fuel coming out of the tank valve (on/off) lever. However, I do not think it is going through the carb.<br /><br />My questions:<br /><br />-can a carburetor kit be had for this?<br /><br />-any tips/should knows, etc?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda Generator Troubleshooting

DJ<br />no carb kit for that one. you either buy it piece by piece or replace the whole carb for around $80.00 . I can give you part numbers if that will help

one more cast

Captain

I would try cleaning the carb first.May be as simple as a stuck needle valve.

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ<br />you just got faxed. hope its what you wanted if you need more let me know.

D

DJ

Norman,<br /><br />Got it. THANKS.<br /><br />I took the carb apart yesterday. Yikes, what a mess. I've go it all cleaned out now.<br /><br />I haven't tried to start it yet, I have to pick up some fuel tubing today.<br /><br />I'll let you know. :)

D

DJ

Norman,<br /><br />Partial success. I got it to run, barely. It's running VERY rich-see below.<br /><br />I think I need to get a new float and float valve. Those won't hurt.<br /><br />Anyway, I have a question.<br /><br />The main jet, Honda part# 99101-124-0480 (at least that's what I THINK it is, that number shows as "optional", I'm assuming for altitude.) does not have a hole in it. <br /><br />How can that be? A jet, without an orifice? From what I can see, the main jet seats against the interior of the carburetor draw tube (which is clear) and SHOULD draw fuel from two holes on the exterior of the tube which sits down in the float bowl.<br /><br />By the way, the only way I got it to run at all was by removing the main jet altogether.<br /><br />What am I missing?<br /><br />By the way, what's the number for the whole carb?<br /><br />I'll run it by my friend.<br /><br />Thanks, again, for all the help.

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ<br />you are correct, the optional jets are smallerfor altitude, yes, they have to have a hole in them yours may be plugged up. a oxy acetalene tip cleaner works good for cleaning them just dont over do it, the holes are not very big. the number for the complete carb is 16100-892-306 i show a list price of $80.91 <br /> I think i would try cleaning the hole up the center of the main jet first before spending $80 bucks on a new carb. it will run rich with no main jet to regulate the fuel flow up the main nozzle.

D

DJ

norman,<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />My local guy wants $125.00 for the entire carb. Can you sell one? If, the jet doesn't work.

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ<br /> sorry, i cant sell you the carb. the company i work for cant do any retail sales to the public at all.