Johnson 1986 2 hp JCO-CDR tune up

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd like to do a tune up/preventative maintenance on this motor.

I've got a book that goes into some detail on the process but I'm hoping someone can tell me what parts to order so that I can study that material while I wait for them to arrive.

And, maybe someone's got familiarity with the particulars of this specific motor.

The motor starts and runs well (although it probably has a bit of residue from old gas and some carbon build up).

About all I know (I think!) is that I should change the impeller and change the oil in the lower end (but I don't know what or where to get that).

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 1986 2 hp JCO-CDR tune up

wow, what a great reference!

I'm through 4 sections and have a couple questions.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure how to do this step to decarbing

"restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls"

could I just pull the tank side of the fuel intake line and spray into that?

also

"Lube should be available from any oil outlet and labeled as suitable for outboard lower units."

I've been to NAPA, Pep Boys and Wal mart looking for 2 stroke motor oil and sea foam. I got both of those but I'm pretty sure they didn't have any other oil labelled for marine use. If it is not tcw3, what should I ask them for?

Thanks again for recording and posting all that info. Yesterday I was thinking I should look for a book that's shorter and more generalized than the big outboard service manual I bought - I guess I won't be needing that!