Installing fuse block

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Installing fuse block

Depends what your trying to accomplish. If you want to be able to turn the pwer off to the fuse block, or select which battery its pulling juice from then yes you'll want to wire it to the COM post on the battery switch.

You can also wire it directly to the second battery, but you won't have the option to kill the power there, ans you would always draw power from that battery.

I'm sorry I can't look at your link right now as I'm on my blackberry, but you want to make sure your switch is the kind that makes a connection before disconnecting the other battery. That way if your FF and GPS are on and you switch to the other battery there is no sudden spike or fluctuation in the line power. This is especially important with charging systems, but would be careful with any sensative electronics. If your switch is not this uninterupted kind, I would judt turn off your FF. And Gps then switch batteries, then turn them right back on. Jist to be safe.

Bill

skargo

Banned

Thanks Bill, I have a Guest battery switch.

skargo

Banned

Is the com terminal the one that goes to the starter?
Mine isn't labeled and my fuse block only works on the both setting, not 1, which is my start battery.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Do I wire it directly to my 2nd battery, or to my battery switch? I bought a blue sea 6 circuit as seen here,
http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/125
As it stands I will wire my GPS and my depth finder to it.
I'm assuming I go right to my battery switch.
Thanks in advance.

Depending on your intention of the second battery.
If you were trying to give you a reserve battery (i.e. does not get used unless you need to start your motor) put the blue sea on the other side of the battery switch. Run it on battery 1(or 2) but not on both unless the motor is already running.

If you want to have an isolated "deep cycle" for the stereo, GPS, Depth finder, lights, etc, then you would want to connect it to the second battery (maybe a second smaller switch in-line to give you the ability to turn everything off)

Most of the time people end up just putting everything after the switch, and then run on "both" which essentially leaves you in a place not really better than having 1 battery.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Is the com terminal the one that goes to the starter?
Mine isn't labeled and my fuse block only works on the both setting, not 1, which is my start battery.

Yes, 1 should come from one battery, 2 from the other, com goes to the starter (accessories).

check the voltage when you have it on 1, something is wrong, it should work.

if it has 12v, try starting, if it drops to 5-7v or lower it is a bad connection or a bad battery.

skargo

Banned

I just installed this fuse block, nothing wrong except I hooked it to the 2nd battery terminal on the switch, thinking it was the Com terminal. The 2nd battery isn't even in the boat yet.

I am using this fuse panel for my GPS and depth finder so far, nothing else.
I will use batt 1 for starting, and batt 2 for deep cycle. I won't be running on both unless needed.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I just installed this fuse block, nothing wrong except I hooked it to the 2nd battery terminal on the switch, thinking it was the Com terminal. The 2nd battery isn't even in the boat yet.

That would make it less effective :D

I am using this fuse panel for my GPS and depth finder so far, nothing else.
I will use batt 1 for starting, and batt 2 for deep cycle. I won't be running on both unless needed.

So if you connect from battery 2 directly connect the fuse box to run your GPS, this will work fine, but you may want to consider another "cut off switch" so when you get off the water, you don't have to shut off everything, and the battery will be charged the next time.

Also, when you are running down river, you can switch to "Both" to charge up both your starting and your deep cycle battery. Just remember to switch back to 1 or off when fishing, as you can drain both batteries when in "both".