No speed with '97 Montego Tigershark

ego_55

Cadet
Hello I'm new to PWC, last saturday I took my montego to the water and it ran ok, after a while I fall and turned the waverunner, the spark plugs got wet, I noticed a few oil (2-cycle) with the water in the motor compartment, after I dried the spak plugs the montego started OK, I tried to run it, the motor revs ok (I guess) but I have NO speed !<br /><br />I checked the prop and it looks free of dirt, wood, trash, etc.<br /><br />Why I'm having not much speed??<br />Did I connect the spark plug cables the wrong way?<br />Is it normal to leak oil when the montego turns upside down?<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you.<br /><br />EGO_55

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: No speed with '97 Montego Tigershark

I had virtually the same problem with one of my waverunners. There may be a possiblity of exhaust blocked but after fighting, cursing, and praying I finally discovered that the reed block base gasket had blown out. Once I repaired this it has run better than ever since I owned this scooter. From reading my manual, when these scooters get water logged you should get them out of the water, like see-saw them a little by raising the front then the back to get water out of the waterbox then pull the plugs, roll over on exhaust manifold side to assist blowing water out the exhaust and turn it over a few times with plugs out.....then you may have to change spark plugs a few times to FINALLY get all the water out of the crank case and get it running smoothly again.

ego_55

Cadet

Thank you very very much, will try it @ once.

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate when we don't get to hear the end of the story!