EGR valve ?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
1996 Jeep, 4.0L<br />Smell gas, run rough.<br />Shut off for 1 minute.<br />Start back, run fine.<br />Bad EGR valve?<br />Can I unhook it to see?<br />Thanks

tylerin

Commander
Re: EGR valve ?

Spinner, you can unhook the electrical line, if thats what you mean. You can remove and check for carbon deposits on the underside. Not exactly sure what your asking

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just wondering what/how it will run with it unhooked?<br />I'm thinking, it's not opening and letting fumes build up and not going into intake the way it should.

tylerin

Commander

Its controlled By the PCM. There's a way of checking my Silverado's w/ a ohmmeter.Is your Check engine light on

SpinnerBait_Nut

Nope, no check engine light is on.<br />They want a 100 bucks for one new :eek: and I was wanting to check it before I bought a new one.

tylerin

Commander

Chevrolet..... To check EGR valve, use an ohhmeterto check continuity of the position sensor and solenoid sensor. Check continuity across terminals 2&4 for EGR sensor, and check across 1&5 for EGR solenoid coil if either reveals an open circuit replace EGR valve. Spinner thats right out of my Chevrolet repair manual, hope that helps alittle

ndemge

Commander

i had a 94 s-10 blazer... had to clean out EGR about once a year... like you said, $100+ for a new one. would take it out, bang it on the ground, and a carbon deposit would come out... bolt back on and it would run fine.<br /><br />it would run fine at highway speed, but when at idle, it couldn't close and ran like crap.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Now I am finding out that my Jeep did not have a EGR valve after 1990.<br />Oh well, did find a wire that goes to a sensor in the exhaust that had a bare wire up against the exhaust.<br />This wire has 13.9 volts when running so maybe it is the culprit.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont know if I can post this, but I always go to<br /><br />www.batauto.com<br /><br />for help. They are pretty good there.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks, and I have it posted there and have had no reply as of yet.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well 2nd. morning in row now after taping up burnt sensor wire that it has run super with no problems.<br />I will just keep my fingers crossed for the next couple days that I found what was causing it.<br /><br />Thanks all for the advise.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well, here it is the 29th. now and it has not showed it's ugly head as of yet, so I think I may have found the problem and to think all this headache over a burnt wire.<br /><br />Oh well, got a lot of new stuff on it anyway at someone else's expense.