1985 procraft 1680 v 115 hp starting issues please help

basshunters

Cadet
i have a 1985 procraft 1680v bass boat mercury 115 hp inline 6. starting the engine takes atleast 15 min but once you get it started it runs awsome topping out at 46 mph. what could cause such time in starting. i have to spray mixed gas and oil 40/1 mix to finally get it cranked.

Last edited:

beamin1

Cadet
Re: 1985 procraft 1680 v 115 hp starting issues please help

Lot's of things can cause a motor to be hard to start, take a look at your cylinder compression, timing, points\ignition, plugs, plug wires fuel air ratio etc etc etc

Without any more information than what you've given, if it won't suck gas on its own to start I'd look at the choke mechanism and if that's not suspect then I would do a compression test and go from there.

basshunters

Cadet

recently had carbs rebuilt compression tested new plugs if possible whats the best way to check choke mecanism. thank you for your support.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The choke plates should be fully closed when choked. If they are not, then you should do a link and sync to get them properly adusted. If the choke plates are fully closed and it takes extra fuel sprayed into the carb throats to start the motor, you may need to clean the carbs or adjust the floats. Also, you do not mention how the motor idles once it does start. That may give a clue as to the type of carberation problem, such as improperly adjusted idle speed jets, etc. Just my thoughts...

basshunters

Cadet

motors runs awsome after i finally get it running idling is great and so is restarting. only have issues when the boat sets for a few days.

beamin1

Cadet

well, not knowing anything at all about that motor..... assuming it has a standard carb on it it either has a manual or automatic choke... manual is just what it says.. you pull a choke cable\knob\lever etc etc to start the motor... an automatic choke usually(the ones Im familiar with old school 350's) have a choke controller on the side of the carb with a copper or alum tube going down into the intake... it usually has a black round cover on the side with 3 screws holding it in place.

Either way, they control the "butterfly" in the front of the carb to close off air supply during cold conditions... you need to verify the existence of the "butterfly" and then the operation of it by closing it with your finger and trying to start the motor(without having to spray the gas in).

Note that there is always the very real danger of a backfire burning said finger if you don't keep it(butterfly) firmly closed or out of the way(try using the lever on the end of the butterfly) so proper safety precautions should be taken.

If the motor seems to start fine by holding the choke closed then you know that's the likely issue and then just need to diagnose the problem with the mechanism.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

115hp merc after 1986 had enrichener valves instead of choke plates on the carbs. I don't know about the 1985 model. I assumed that it had choke plates. If your motor has an enrichener instead, then the troubleshooting should start with checking the enrichener valve. Below is the troubleshooting guide for that.

Attachments

• Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Enrichener Description.jpg
    Enrichener Description.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

basshunters

Cadet

my carbs dont look like this they have three plates that are attached to three carbs that look like they all slide over the carbs at the same time. they are located on the left side of the carbs. sorry i fish not no boat motor expert, thank you for your time in trying to help.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't give up on this thread. Determining if your motor has a choke plate or enrichener valve should be easy to determine. If it has a choke plate, then there are TWO plates inside each carb throat, one behind the other. If there is only ONE plate inside each carb throat, then you most likely have an enrichener. If you have an enrichener on your motor, it is important and also easy to confirm that it is working correctly.

Enricheners all work the same way. The example thumbnail in my earlier post was for my motor, a 1996 150HP V6. Below is a better example for a 1987 115hp.

Attachments

• Enrichener Description for 115hp.jpg
    Enrichener Description for 115hp.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The 'Stacked 6' has always been know for its great love of fuel to start cold, needing LOTS of choke to get going the first time every day.

Have a helper push the 'choke' button' with the ignition key in the ON position while you observe the three choke shutters on the front of the carbs.

The linkage between the shutters should have a solenoid connected that is energized by the choke button, pulling the shutters into the choke position.

A marginal battery or an aging starter can cause a slower cranking speed which will contribute to hard cold starting. Cranking speed should be a minimum of 300 RPM.

basshunters

Cadet

yes see now it has enricher but only two carbs have the flaps and one dont i push the key in and hear the silenoid click but the two flaps i have dont go over into the openings of the two carbs.

beamin1

Cadet

Sounds like you've found your issue then at least...

Here's a great place to look up parts though I've never ordered anything from them so can't speak for their service.

Looking at the diagrams on the system should give you a good idea of where to start troubleshooting if no one else on here can suggest anything...but if it's missing parts you may as well start there.

Good luck!

basshunters

Cadet

thank you the best way i can describe is the motor has 6 spark plugs only 3 carbs and when i push the key in to set choke mode the silenoid clicks but doesnt set the two plates over the carbs and there should be three plates that fall over the carbs entrance correct but would this cause it to run fine after i finally get it started and it recranks fine from there.

beamin1

Cadet

I'd say yes, cold engines need alot more gas and less air to start, once warmed your motor runs fine on the leaner ratio without the choke. That's pretty normal for carb'd engines... Which is why it fires up fine when you shoot some gas into the front of the carbs, your doing basically the same thing as the choke would if it were working properly.

I presume that you can continue running it like it is, but would suggest covering the carb intakes, rather than squirting in gas if you have a mate that can help you, if solo your stuck with squirting it in there, or you could fix it or get it fixed.

DON'T
take my word for it though, I am NOT an outboard expert at all, just have lots of car experience and the basic principles are the same, what I do not know is if there's anything specific about that engine that could damage it by starting it this way but I'm sure someone else on here can answer that..

BTW where ya fish? Buggs Islander(NC, Kerr Lake) here...(well the parts no one fishes at least heheheh)

basshunters

Cadet

i should have said to start with when i spray 40/1 mix i have to take the spark plugs out and spray in their not into the carbs spraying in the carbs dont work. thanks for your support.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There is supposed to be a short piece of thin cable that links the shutter linkage to the plunger of the solenoid. One end of the cable has an eyelet ring, screwed to the solenoid plunger.

Did the screw fall out?

Merc only put shutters on the top two carbs, it's enough.

basshunters

Cadet

the linking is still connected but when push the key in for choke mode the silenoid clicks but the choke plates dont move you can see the linking move also but only like 1/16 of an inch

basshunters

Cadet

can anyone point me in the direction where i can find choke linkage silenoid.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

can anyone point me in the direction where i can find choke linkage silenoid.

Do you mean finding it on the motor or finding a replacement part from a store?

If you mean on the motor, I suggest that you get a shop manual for your motor. It will have all the info you need. If you mean from what store, you can probably find the part on most Mercury parts websites on the internet or from your local Mercury repair shop. If the part is shown as no longer available (NLA), I have no idea. Good luck.

basshunters

Cadet

Do you mean finding it on the motor or finding a replacement part from a store?

If you mean on the motor, I suggest that you get a shop manual for your motor. It will have all the info you need. If you mean from what store, you can probably find the part on most Mercury parts websites on the internet or from your local Mercury repair shop. If the part is shown as no longer available (NLA), I have no idea. Good luck.

i guess i need the silenoid now that ive figured out that the silenoid is not ingaging the choke plates that is two choke plates considering the bottom choke doesnt have if it needs ones no idea here but thanks for your support.