1985 procraft 1680 v 115 hp starting issues please help

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 procraft 1680 v 115 hp starting issues please help

If the plunger moves at all, then the solenoid is probably good. Clean inside the solenoid and the plunger with a clean dry scotch-brite scrubby pad, not too hard, but enough to make sure any crustys are gone and that the plunger can freely slide in and out.

Check the linkage on the shutters, clean if necessary, ensure that they move freely enough that they FALL back to the open position of their own weight. The solenoid pulls the linkage UP, there is no return spring or anything to push it back down other than its own weight.

It is a very basic choke for the upper 4 cylinders. Adequate to start the motor when cold.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the plunger moves at all, then the solenoid is probably good. Clean inside the solenoid and the plunger with a clean dry scotch-brite scrubby pad, not too hard, but enough to make sure any crustys are gone and that the plunger can freely slide in and out.

Check the linkage on the shutters, clean if necessary, ensure that they move freely enough that they FALL back to the open position of their own weight. The solenoid pulls the linkage UP, there is no return spring or anything to push it back down other than its own weight.

It is a very basic choke for the upper 4 cylinders. Adequate to start the motor when cold.
YUP!

basshunters

Cadet

so i have six cylinders with only three carbs thanks im an idiot when it comes to motors but not fishing so the upper two carbs controll the upper four cylinders thats why the bottom carb doesnt have a linkage to attach a third choke plate that controlls the bottom two cylinders if im following this thread correctly i can move the upper two choke plates by hand but they seem as if i was pushing against a spring could the set screws be to tight since it recently been rebuilt. thanks for you support.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the choke plates are open when they should be closed, you have to determine what is causing the resistance to them closing. Only you can determine that since you are there physically moving and observing the linkage. By the way, if you try to use a little punctuation in your writing, your comments will be easier to understand and you may get better answers more quickly. Just a suggestion...

basshunters

Cadet

If the choke plates are open when they should be closed, you have to determine what is causing the resistance to them closing. Only you can determine that since you are there physically moving and observing the linkage. By the way, if you try to use a little punctuation in your writing, your comments will be easier to understand and you may get better answers more quickly. Just a suggestion...

thanks for your help but sorry on my writting skills im not that into perfect punctuation skills. thanks for the advise that made me feel better. sorry

basshunters

Cadet

thanks to all that helped. i found the nuts that held the choke plates in place where to tight for the silenoid to engage choke plates. loosened the nuts and choke plates are funtioning correct now. what stress this has been.