Help - Sucked up sand in my motor.

Back Bay Boater

Recruit
Over the weekend I ran in to some shallow water and sucked some sand up in my 1990 50hp force outboard. When I got home, I hooked up my flushing ears to my motor along with my Salt-x contraption and flushed my motor out. At first, no water was coming out of my telltale, but eventually it started pissing. After 5 minutes, my overheat buzzer came on. I shut down and later the afternoon I hooked the ears back up and started up the motor, no buzzer came on. Should I be worried that I still may have some sand in the motor? If so, can anyone tell me what preventive maintenance I should do? <br />Thanks in advance, <br />John

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help - Sucked up sand in my motor.

I would replace the impeller. It doesn't take muck to ruin the fins on the impeller. Cheap enough to do for the reassurance.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Yes...you will probebly have to change the entire water pump.<br /><br />The aluminum housing is not very tolerant of sand.<br /><br />TMD

SoulWinner

Commander

Definately agree with the others. I toasted a motor this way. Changing the water pump is way more fun than trying salvage a burned up motor.

Back Bay Boater

Recruit

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your guidance. Does anyone know if a complete water pump kit is available or do I need to buy the impeller and housing separately? Also, would anyone know what gaskets I need to order to do the whole job?<br /><br />Thanks again!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You can buy a kit...it will be cheaper that way.<br /><br /> If you choose to do just the impeller I believe one of the sponsors of Iboats can help you out.<br /><br />But for a Kit you will have to go directly to a Mercury/Force supplier.<br /><br />TMD

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To TMD, got a question. Do you think the water pump kit for the force(Mercury part) would fit a 1970 Chrysler 55hp?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

While you have the lower unit off to replace the impeller, pull off the thermostat cover and back flush the powerhead with a garden hose through the thermostat housing and out through the water tube. Then clamp a garden hose on the water tube and forward flush out through the thermostat housing to get any residual sand out.

bradley1393

Cadet

When you have the lower unit off i would check the water tube they are prone to packing with sand...if that is the case the water jacket and t-stat may also need cleaned.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bradley,<br />I have looked at all the posts everbody is on the right track. <br /><br />EDIT: We do not allow sales promotion, here, Force01. Please do not offer items for sale.<br /><br />JB