Why not have a Iboats Florida Gathering?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
I was thinking that there seems to be an awful lot of people from the Florida area. I know that the past gatherings, allthough were successful in the fun department and helped solidify some of the friendships started on this forum but they did lack a bit in the #s area. Maybe if it were smaller scale as in more people closer to the destination (yet of course everyone is invited) then maybe there would be more people.......Just a thought......

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why not have a Iboats Florida Gathering?

Finding a central meeting spot...could be the key!

I'm in Tallahassee...and anything past Orlando, becomes a major logistical problem.

Let's see if anyone kicks in!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I did one in Oct or Nov. there were about 30 who said they were coming, had 10% show up.

i think a location is key, and kind of hard to find, i would suggest a large lake, with some public beach area. there use to be a Stricklands Landing, near Starke, on Kingsley Lake. had plenty of docking protected swim area, and camping. it is now closed.

another idea is an area like the disappearing island at Ponce Inlet, but that is totally dependent on the tides. Beautiful white sand (sandbar) easy beaching or proper mooring. just have to bring everything by boat.

even taking up a collection to rent a private place has crossed my mind. but that would be totally up to the members to fund. i'm sure iboats if we had a full commitment, would supply door prizes.

i am more than willing to try to put another together. i am now in the planning stage of trying for another NAS Jax Air Show meeting in Oct/Nov 2010, air show there every other year.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I would like to comment on these get-togethers. It is great to do this and I applaud those that put it together. While we all have boating/fishing in common, I found its more thrilling to sit around and converse with my fellow boaters and anglers in getting to know them.

I was fortunate enough to meet the great Spinner_baitnut, gonfishn, and BrianFD. We did do some fishing/boating, but found the time at the campsite more meaningful and enjoyable. I think more emphasis should be put on a gathering for visiting vs the boating and fishing part. When everyone goes their own way, it is very hard to get to know everyone.

Now that Lester is only watching, there is nobody in this region to put one together unless I put forth the effort. Just may attempt to do so in his honor.............SS

chiefalen

Captain

In my mind < cloudy most of the time, timing is key. Location another problem.

School is in session no way i can get away. And Florida just to far.

I wouldn't mind driving pulling my boat say 4-5 hours but 20-24 hours no way.

Of course someone would be at home and others coming a long way. Thats a given.

I tell ya it's hard enough to get alot of people to agree on what toilet paper to use never mind a date and time and place to meet.

Summer time we can meet almost anywhere. Somewhere that has alot of ramps, parking for trailers and rooms galore.

And guys in Canada i bet would love to come even further away.

Hmmm. I got to let the ole brain warm up to early, maybe i posted to this to soon, but let's all think on it and make suggestions??

That won't ruffle any feathers will it thinking on it a little??

tashasdaddy

Chief, you missed the point, members in different areas, in the past have arranged meeting and fun in there particular parts of the country. of course anyone is invited, even none members. but it is for the surrounding area, for "locals" to meet and help each other.

i have met quite a few members here, for fishing days, etc.

chiefalen

Captain

See cloudy brain. Ohio sounds nice, been wanting to get back to Sandusky for the amusement parks.

Kids have been busting it for a return trip and it was right on Erie i wished i had brought the boat.

SS Mayfloat that sounds like a idea. Want to start a northeast thread get together??

mthieme

Captain

This can work.
I know a lady at work who is part of an internet group (not boats - forget what, I say quilting for the sake of discussion). They all have a common interest and met on the internet. There are just under a dozen of them and they get together once a year. They are scattered mostly up and down the east coast. When she told me about it, the middle ground was Baltimore. Although, none of them had to drag a boat with them....it can work. It probably doesn't hurt that they plan a year in advance too.

I've often thought that dragging my 14' skiff to a new area for a long weekend or week's vacation would be neat. Lotsa areas within reasonable driving distance. The skiff is light and easy to tow (although I wouldn't take the current trailer under it too far (10 miles!).

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well Im in........Depending on where it is and date......like everyone else I guess :) Im in north central Florida so anywhere within a couple hundred miles would work for me........Will my boat be ready? Depends on how much time before the event........As for the planning stages, well I have planned, set up and run many events from 100s of people to just smaller get togethers. (Concerts/raves, camping and paintball events, group meetings and I have established and run a couple different teen/young adult ministries) I do understand what it takes to be fun,safe and successful. Depending on how many people are interested Im game to help in anyway I can.........IF TD would like to lead up a Florida gathering I volunteer to help out any way I can. :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Mike&Ronda..

Sounds like a great idea! Put my name on the list.

Florida can be a pain in the neck logistically I'm sure..but I'm sure that can be managed.

Perhaps a kick off dinner at a restaraunt?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Great now those yankees up north are trying to steal our "Thunder" and have a gathering of their own............Dang......

On another note: How long does one have to live in the south untill they can use the term "Yankee" Without being a hypocrit? :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol..I got my Yankee permit a week after I got here to SWF.
But I think it depends on where ya came from, SoCal in my case!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well Im a transplant from Milwaukee, Wi. via a route through Springfield Mo. for 5 yrs.......Due to being more redneck then city slicker I think I fit in better farther south.......but I must say Wisconsin is a boaters paradise........For about 3 months of the yr :) Allthough it has felt like Wi. for a couple weeks here :(

gonfishn

Commander

Does any one here remember the first Iboat gathering. Spinner and i got one together many years ago. Over 100 said they would and three of us showed in St Louis area. Spinner and i drove 400 miles to meet and only lived 100 miles apart lol. I still have the t-shirt.

Next one was at Watts Bar in Tenn. I think maybe there was Spinner,BubbaKat and myself. Wisconsin was a good one we had many members. Had six one time at my Homestead in Minn.

As for the driving thing i have pulled my boat 700 miles for a get together. Na not stealn your thunder your just takn another step that was started back when alot of you were not even on board yet. As Mayfloat said it was great to sit around and tell lies and talkn about the folks who could not defend themselves.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I remember when you guys had the first get together(Or maybe it was the 2nd one).......I bet that all that said they would go who didnt make it now wish they would have so they too could have met SBN. I sure wish I would have went. For that reason alone I think its a great idea....... Dang I miss that man's presence here.

gonfishn

Commander

Ya know I have met over 30 members here over the years. Had it not been for this forum I would have never meet the folks here. When a roundo is planned and if possible all should try and go. Time is to short. You might find me down south at a roundo (without boat) just ta meet some of ya.

Gators in your area are not the same that i catch here(Musky). Iboats actually gave out three gift certificates at our first roundo. Since there were only three of us we all were winners..lol..

tashasdaddy

actually, Mike, you're considered a damn yankee, that is one that comes here and doesn't go back up north. but then fusses, about the bug, gators, heat. but we accept you as a transplant. i live in a Jax as you know, i have told many who just bit ch about it here, "if you hate it so much, go back to where you came from.

but we have many transplants that are great.

i would be glad to organize another round up, i am just at a loss, as to a place.

not even against a North Fl, and So Fl round up.

clanton

Rear Admiral

It is diffcult to at times to be at all of the reunions and get-gethers. I spend a lot of time in Immokalee/Ft Myers, and Panama City FL. I`m now in Panama City, and in 3 months plan to be in NM, AZ, and Calif. Now that the excuses have been made, I will try to be there, can also help with the funding.

Clanton

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey TD I didnt complain about the heat.......Though the freakin Spiders at our 1st place were not even remotly funny.......Stupid wolf spiders.......As for the gators......they are a bit creepy.......Its my guees that there would be a whole lot less Damn Yankees if Florida didnt have such awesome water to boat and fish on.......Speaking of awesome water to boat and fish on. Is there a place Where Freahwater meets brackish/salt somewhere along the atlantic within do-able distance from you? Maybe we could find a campground and hotels close to there. I figure if we could have the best of both worlds Salt/Fresh people would be more apt in coming..........

gonfishn

Commander

We call folks snow birds here. They go south for the winter spend money then return North in the spring.