Glassmaster transom damage

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
hey guys 1981 Glassmaster 18' runabout '76 115 tower of power

While I was inspected trim cylinders after the lake yesterday, I noticed there was a slightly large problem with the lower starboard motor bracket, which seemed to have made its way into the transom. Obviously, the wood is rotted, however to what degree I'm not sure. The sealant was pullled away by me after I noticed the damage.

onejpgmediumre2.jpg

twoys9.jpg

p1040117mediumjc5.jpg

I am fairly sure that the floor and stringers aren't rotted, but I will double check. I read on another post about using seacast or something like that to strengthen the transom. I would like to get the boat usable again, but don't want to bandaid a bigger problem.

After three perfectly successful outings in a row, I knew there had to be something wrong with the boat!

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Glassmaster transom damage

I think probably you'll find the whole transom rotten, which will mean removing the inside skin of the transom, and pulling the wood out, or alternatively removing it via the top edge of the transom without damaging the fiberglass or gelcoat and pouring seacast in to replace the wood.

The bad news is you can't band-aid the existing problem to give yourself the rest of the season... it's not safe to use as-is, especially with a motor that heavy. Check your deck too, but I'd expect you'll find some wet foam when you pull the aft end of the stringers out to do the transom.

Erik